The article below will show you a few different home remedies for anorexia. We will offer you solutions followed by steps on how to complete each one. Anorexia nervosa, usually referred to simply as anorexia, is an eating disorder. This type of disordered eating centers around patients who are afraid of gaining weight. For this reason, they end up avoiding meals.
These patients try to eat as little calories as possible. When anorexia goes on for long enough, it can cause bone loss, insomnia, hair loss, dry skin, low blood pressure, mood swings and more. If untreated for long enough, cases of anorexia can end in death. The remedies presented here can help with the physical aspect of anorexia. However, if you or someone you know suffers from anorexia or is showing symptoms of anorexia, you must consult a specialist immediatly, to address the underlying issues.
Ginger is a known appetite stimulant and is therefore a good home remedy for anorexia. It can help to reduce anxiety as well as reduce stress through calming your nerves. Because of this, you may feel more at ease about eating a meal.
You can find fresh ginger in any grocery store in your area. It does not cost very much to purchase, making it an inexpensive home remedy. You can enjoy it as a tea or eat it raw, in salads or cooked. Each will give you the same effect.
- Cut up ginger and make it into a tea.
- Put boiling water over the ginger and let it steep.
- Drink the tea a half an hour before a meal.
Anorexia is classified as a mental condition as well as a physical condition. A lot of the time, it can be hard to make yourself eat in certain mental states. Almonds may be able to help that.
Almonds are a superfood known to help make the brain healthier and more active. It may be able to improve concentration while handling distress. You can find almonds in any grocery store. Eat them whole or in ground up form.
- Eat a handful of unprepared almonds a few times a day.
- You can also soak them in water overnight to soften them up.
- In the morning, take off the skin and eat them.
Another appetite stimulant is garlic. Garlic has a number of different benefits, but especially in terms of helping to treat anorexia. It is able to clean out the digestive system. Not only this, but garlic can promote juice secretion in your stomach to aid in digestion.
Garlic also has antibacterial, anti-microbial, antiseptic and other properties. This can aid in other ailments of the body or symptoms of anorexia. You can find garlic at any grocery store. It is inexpensive to purchase.
- Garlic cloves
- Chop up fresh garlic cloves and eat them in your meals.
- You can also chew on garlic throughout the day, being sure to swallow its juices.
Pineapple contains bromelain, which is an enzyme. This enzyme may be able to help stimulate hunger and your appetite. Not only that, it can help you crave more foods. This may work together to help you eat more. Eating pineapple may have a chain reaction that may help you eat more and treat your anorexia. If you eat pineapple every morning, it may make you feel hungrier during the rest of the day.
- Fresh pineapple juice
- Cut up a pineapple and eat some for breakfast each morning.
- Snack on pineapple throughout the day.
- Drink fresh pineapple juice by making it yourself or buying it already made.
Cinnamon has earned its place among a number of home remedies. One of the best ways to use cinnamon is as a digestive aid and appetite stimulant. Cinnamon may be able to help the necessary juices in your stomach secrete to promote appetite stimulation. It can also help digest food to make eating more comfortable for you. Cinnamon is also commonly used as a home remedy for an upset stomach. You can get cinnamon in any grocery store either as a whole cinnamon stick or ground up.
- Grind up cinnamon sticks into a powder or buy pre-ground cinnamon.
- Mix a tablespoon of powdered cinnamon into a liter of water.
- Stir well and then drink two glasses of water right before you eat.
6. Fennel seeds
Fennel seeds are another good way to stimulate your appetite. On top of that, they are great for helping you digest your food. This could make for a more comfortable eating and digestion process; because of this, you may feel more inclined to eat. Fennel seeds are common and can be purchased at most grocery stores. If you are having problems finding them there, look at your local health food store.
- Warm water
- Fennel seeds
- Fill a glass with warm water.
- Infuse up to 20 grams of the seeds into it.
- Steep this mixture for 30 minutes.
- Strain the seeds and drink it both before and after you eat.
7. Carrot Juice
Carrot juice is able to secrete natural digestive and gastric juices to help you digest your food. This may also help you flush out your digestive tract and cleanse the system. Carrots are full of a number of nutrients as well that are sure to help your body recover from anorexia. You can find carrots in the produce section of any grocery store. Usually, you can find premade carrot juice in these stores as well.
- Carrots or carrot juice
- Warm water
- Juice your own carrot for fresher taste.
- Mix carrot juice into a glass of warm water to dilute it.
- Drink it once or twice a day.
8. Lime and Cloves
Lime is another great way to bring your appetite back to life. Not only this, but it can help reduce symptoms such as nausea and fatigue that often accompany anorexia.
This makes it an excellent catch-all for those who suffer from anorexia nervosa. Lime can be purchased at any health food store. You can get the lime already squeezed in a bottle or buy a fresh lime and do it yourself. This will yield you better results.
- Fresh lime or lime juice
- Whole Cloves
- Boil water on the stove.
- Mix in lime juice.
- Add two or three cloves to the water.
- Let it cool off to a lukewarm temperature and then drink it
9. Black Pepper and Honey
Black pepper is one of the most commonly used ingredients to add flavor to dishes in order to make it more appealing. Not only this, but black pepper is known to be able to improve the digestion. These two factors may make eating more enjoyable for you and encourage you to do it more often.
Pepper is perhaps the most common ingredient in a lot of people’s households and is likely already sitting on your kitchen table. If not, you can find it easily at any store. The same can be said for honey.
- Grind up five black peppercorns and mix it into honey to form a paste.
- Eat this paste in the morning.
Apples, on top of other benefits, contain a digestive enzyme to help you digest food more easily. Apples are full of this enzyme, called pepsin, which could ultimately make eating more enjoyable for you. By introducing more of this enzyme, you can also improve your appetite and it may make you crave foods more often.
Apples are common in the produce section of any supermarket. Combined with honey, you could be on a path to helping treat your anorexia.
- Warm up a glass of milk.
- Sweeten the milk using honey.
- Cut up an apple into small pieces.
- Eat the apple pieces while drinking the milk and honey.
Oranges have long been used for anorexic patients. It makes eating easier due to its sweet nature and digestive enzymes. Oranges have a nice aroma as well. This may be able to alleviate depressive symptoms that accompany anorexia. It can also reduce anxiety and nerves. Oranges are easily found in the produce section of your local grocery store. You can consume them in whatever way is preferable.
- Squeeze a glass of fresh orange juice and drink it.
- Add black pepper, salt and lemon juice to give it more complex flavor.
- Eat an orange or two during the day, especially at breakfast; this will help stimulate the appetite.
Lemon is commonly used as a way to clean out the digestive system. This could benefit the anorexic patient who needs help digesting their food. Lemon juice is also great for stimulating the appetite. These two benefits of lemon juice make it a great contender for home remedies for anorexia. Lemons can be acquired at an inexpensive price at any grocery store. If you do not want to juice one yourself, you can buy lemon juice on its own.
- Lemons or lemon juice
- Juice a fresh lemon or buy bottled lemon juice.
- Squeeze lemon juice into a glass of room temperature water.
- Add a pinch of salt.
- Drink it in the morning.
Coriander is yet another potent, all-natural appetite stimulant. This appetite stimulant is especially useful in helping to treat very severe anorexia. Some people have a genetic disposition where coriander is not appealing; for this reason, it may not help some patients want to eat more. But, if you enjoy the taste, this may be for you. Coriander can be purchased fresh at any supermarket. It is inexpensive and easy to find.
- Fill a glass with warm water.
- Infuse coriander seeds into the water.
- Allow it to steep for around 30 minutes.
- Strain out the liquid and then drink it before you eat.
- Do this at each meal.
Tomatoes are acidic by nature, and this acid may help get your gastric juices flowing. Because of this, it may make your appetite grow. It may also be able to help you digest food easier.
These in combination with one another may help you enjoy eating a bit more. You can eat tomatoes in just about anything, but raw tomatoes will work better. Find tomatoes in any grocery store in the produce section. Then, enjoy them the way you like.
- Fresh tomatoes
- Slice up tomatoes and eat them with a bit of salt and pepper for a snack.
- Dice up tomatoes and put them into your salads with other fresh vegetables.
Fenugreek is able to enhance the levels of haemoglobin, or hemoglobin, in the body. It also gives you the necessary fats, proteins and carbs your body needs.
- Boil water.
- Steep fenugreek seeds inside of the water.
- Let the water cool and then drink.
In this article, we have provided you with a number of home remedies for anorexia. You can use these remedies to help stave off symptoms to make you healthier again.
Do you have any go-to remedies for anorexia that you recommend? We want to hear about them. Help our readers by giving them even more options. Let us know about them in the comments section below.