This article will provide you with a number of different home remedies for bruises. We will also provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to use each of these home remedies for bruises.
Bruises can occur from a number of different things: you could bump or hit something that leaves a mark on the skin. You may also have a condition that causes you to bruise more easily. Whatever the cause, they hurt and they are unsightly.
Home remedies for bruises are an excellent way to help rid the skin of bruising and get on your way to healing faster. These remedies are usually also more cost effective, faster and consume less of your time than a doctor’s visit. You can find most home remedy ingredients at the store or the pharmacy.
For related issues, you can take a look at our home remedies for leg scars article, to see if they are better match for your trouble.
1. Ice therapy
Applying ice to a place on the body immediately after you have noticed injury or a bruise will reduce the blood flow to the immediate area. This can help reduce the blood that gets into the tissue and causes a bruise. It can then reduce swelling and help the bruise not look as apparent.
- Ziploc baggie
- Frozen peas
- Put ice cubes into a ziploc bag, or take out the frozen peas from your freezer.
- Wrap the bag or the frozen peas with a thin dish towel.
- Ice the bruise for around 10 minutes.
- Remove the ice pack for around 20 minutes.
- Apply the ice again and repeat as necessary.
- Now featuring our Easy Open Tabs
- Features our Smart Zip Plus seal
- Made of durable plastic
- ZIPPER 2 in 1 QUART PLASTIC BAG: From freezer to fridge to pantry, BPA free Glad Freezer and Storage Bags with a zipper...
- DOUBLE SEAL LOCK ZIPPER: With a quick glide of the Yellow and Blue Make Green Seal, these one quart plastic bags provide...
- LASTING FRESHNESS: Keep food fresh with Glad 2 in 1 Storage and Freezer Bags complete with pliable plastic that...
Heat can help to not only reduce the appearance of bruises, but it can help with the pain of bruising as well. This remedy is readily available to anyone.
- Heating pad or hot water bottle
- Heat up your heating pad or hot water bottle. You can also use a rice heating pad in the microwave.
- Apply the heating pad or item of your choice to the injury right away. It can help move off the blood that has been trapped in the tissue to help reduce its appearance.
- Choose to soak the affected area in hot water such as a bath.
- SOOTHE WITH ULTRAHEAT: UltraHeat technology penetrates into affected areas to help increase blood flow to sore areas for...
- SPECIALLY DESIGNED FOR ARTHRITIS SUFFERERS: Electric heating pad provides soothing heat therapy and has an easy-slide...
- CUSTOMIZE WITH 3 HEAT SETTINGS AND AUTO-SHUTOFF: Three heat settings so you can customize the intensity of heat. If you...
- Ease Sore Muscles: Measuring 12 x 24," our heat patch offers full-body relief! In just a few seconds, it's fully heated...
- Safe and Comfortable: Thanks to our state-of-the art LCD controller, you can quickly switch between 6 different...
- Great for Daily Use: Made with a super-soft microplush material, our heating pad for cramps and pains delivers...
Having compression on the bruise will help it by squeezing the tissues to stop the leakage of blood vessels. Not only can this help reduce the bruising, it can help with the pain of the bruising as well. This home remedy can be done by anyone who has access to a pharmacy; the necessary bandages can be found there for a cheap price.
- Elastic bandage
- Compression sock
- Apply the compression sock or the elastic bandage to the bruise. Do this by wrapping it up with the bandage.
- Keep it wrapped for a few hours every day until the bruise goes down.
- VALUE PACK - In this set you will receive 4 polyester compression bandages. Two pieces of 3 inch bandages and two - 4...
- COMFORTABLE and SAFE CLOSURE - Each bandage wrap is equipped with two elastic bandage wrap clips, in other words - hook...
- IDEAL SIZE - Each bandage wrap stretches up to 180 inches if stretched to the max. Also, we are adding 4 EXTRA CLIPS in...
- THE BEST BANDAGE FOR YOUR RECOVERY: When it comes to your care, the last thing you want is a bandage that is flimsy,...
- SAFE AND SIMPLE TO USE: treat muscle sprains and strains by reducing the flow of blood to a particular area by the...
- THE TRUSTED PROFESSIONAL'S CHOICE: Meticulously researched and developed by health professionals for use in the real...
- STYLE AND CONFIDENCE ON YOUR LEGS - Finally! A Durable Compression Sock designed to last, without compromising quality...
- BECAUSE PUSHING YOURSELF THAT EXTRA MILE MATTERS! Get your blood circulating in style! Great for relief of varicose...
- TAKE YOUR GAME TO THE NEXT LEVEL - Comfortable material and careful construction. No stitches in places where they'll...
- COMPRESSION SOCKS- Say goodbye to your pain！The compression technique is scientifically known to reduce swelling, pain...
- COMPRESSION BENEFITS - Our compression socks are recommended by doctors and preferred by trainers. These are designed to...
- COMFORTABLE MATERIAL AND CAREFUL CONSTRUCTION- We are Changing the landscape in the field of compression socks by...
Elevation will help to drain away fluid from the bruise to reduce the appearance. It will also help to relieve the pain in the bruised area while reducing the pressure. Elevating the affected area is something that anyone can do for free. It will also give you a chance to relax, rest and recuperate which will also help along the healing process.
- Put the affected area up on a pillow.
- Aim to get the affected area up above the heart. This will move the blood toward the heart and away from the affected area to help with the reduction of the bruise.
Arnica is an herb that has been known to help reduce swelling and inflammation. This makes it great for bruising especially since bruising comes with plenty of inflammation. Arnica is relatively easy to access as you can find it in the medicinal section of grocery stores or in a pharmacy.
- Arnica powder or arnica gel
- Acquire arnica in either a gel, a powder, an ointment or oral capsule
- Ingest the arnica or put it onto the bruise. Studies have shown that putting arnica on in an ointment is the best way to do it. Simply apply a generous amount to the bruise and then allow it to rest.
- Arnica 4:1 Powder (1 oz, ZIN: 518998): Arnica 4:1 Powder
- Before pain gets in your way, treat it naturally at the first sign with Arnicare and feel better faster. Arnicare helps...
- Arnica montana (or Mountain daisy) has been used for centuries as a natural pain reliever, and today, it's one of the...
- Arnicare Cream's natural active ingredient, Arnica montana, helps to relieve muscle pain and stiffness and to reduce...
6. Vitamin K Cream
Vitamin K, or potassium, is one of the essential nutrients available that helps with blood clotting in general. Having it applied in a topical manner is one simple way to reduce how intense or severe the bruise is. It is best applied topically or you can ingest items with a lot of potassium such as a supplement to help from the inside out. You can usually find this cream at a pharmacy for a reasonable price.
- Vitamin K cream
- Apply the vitamin K cream generously to the affected area.
- Do this once or twice a day as directed on the vitamin K cream packaging.
- Special vitamin K formula helps fade and clear bruises
- Reduce appearance of spider veins on face
- Helps improve appearance of broken capillaries, rosacea, and any reddened, irritated areas on face
- Contains maximum strength Vitamin K to help clear and fade bruising. Improves the appearance of discolored skin caused...
- Reduces puffiness and under eye dark circles.
- Hydrates, soothes and retains skin's natural moisture. Helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
7. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is one of the most commonly reached-for ingredients when it comes to any issue of the skin. It is especially great for those who are interested in reducing a bruise; this is because it is able to target swelling, redness and inflammation of the skin. It is best applied topically.
- Fresh or store-bought aloe vera gel
- Apply a generous bit of the aloe vera gel to the bruise.
- Allow the aloe vera to sit on the bruise. Do not wash it off.
- Apply it once or twice a day to see the best results.
- WE'RE PROUD TO SAY this is the first USDA Certified Organic Aloe Gel you've found on your search! NO preservatives, not...
- WE'RE SERIOUS WHEN WE SAY IT'S 100% PURE: So serious, that you MUST keep this gel in the refrigerator after opening!...
- HUNDREDS OF USES: Just like the raw plant, your new Aloe Vera Gel is hydrating and softening, perfect for dry, or...
- 100% PURE ALOE EXTRACT: Our gel is formulated from 100% pure aloe extract which is carefully processed and cold pressed...
- SOOTHES, HEALS & NOURISHES SKIN: Packed with potent vitamins and minerals, aloe gelly helps to calm irritated skin and...
- REJUVINATES HAIR: Aloe Vera gel contains an enzyme known as proteolytic that helps to treat itchy scalp and prevent...
8. Vitamin C
Vitamin C is one of the most potent anti-inflammatories on the market. With vitamin C, you are not only getting anti-inflammatory benefits; you are getting antioxidants as well, which are known to help the immune system heal the body faster. It can be used in a number of different forms such as supplements, serums or creams. In the case of bruises, it is best applied topically.
- Vitamin C cream or ointment
- Generously put the vitamin C ointment onto the bruise. Allow it to sit on the skin and soak in.
- Repeat this once or twice a day until the bruise has healed up.
- Infused with collagen building peptides and Ceramide-2; patented Polymer Matrix Technology delivers superior penetration...
- L-Ascorbic Acid pH balanced at 3
- Brightens skin while reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- PREMIUM ANTI-AGING MOISTURIZER - Our Vitamin C Moisturizer contains a blend of the best ingredients to deliver unrivaled...
- INTENSE MOISTURIZING INGREDIENTS - With a formula packed with the best ingredients like Niacinamide, Hyaluronic Acid,...
- BEAUTIFUL & EVEN TONE - InstaNatural's Vitamin C Moisturizer safely diminishes signs of aging and the appearance of...
Pineapple contains an enzyme called bromelain. Bromelain is able to help reduce the intensity and severity of the bruise. It can also help reduce inflammation, which can in turn help with the pain. If you enjoy eating pineapple, you can easily pick up a fresh pineapple or canned pineapple at the grocery store. You can also opt to take supplements or apply it topically. Topical application is recommended.
- Pineapple cream
- Get a generous amount of pineapple cream into a clean hand and apply it to the bruise.
- Repeat this application once or twice a day. You can do it until the bruise has lessened or cleared up completely.
- Ultra Shea Body Cream, One 8oz Tube
- Smells like: Pineapple popsicles and pool floats; Fresh Pineapple, Maraschino Cherry, Waterlily, Coconut Cream, Golden...
- Infused with luxuriously rich Shea Butter, soothing Aloe Butter and pampering Cocoa Butter
- Anti Cellulite Cream With Coffee Butter & Green Tea
- Stimulates Surface Metabolism,Tightens & Tones
- Drains Lymphatic Tissue,Contains Horsetail
Comfrey is a plant that is most commonly used to treat inflammation and other ailments of the skin. This cream has been shown to help heal the skin and is therefore suitable for healing up bruises. This can usually be found in a cream form for a cost-effective price. Check your local pharmacy or look in the over-the-counter section of your grocery store.
- Comfrey cream or fresh comfrey
- Put a generous dollop of the comfrey cream onto the skin. Do this a few times a day until the bruise has healed.
- Make a compress with fresh comfrey leaves and press it against the bruised area.
- General healing ointment
- A synergistic blend formulated to help with itching, chapping, minor burns, abrasions, scrapes and bruises
- Helps regenerate proper joint function and healthy connective tissue, healthy bones
- 14 clinical studies, including 4 randomized, double-blind studies
- Specialized comfrey-grown especially for this product
- Free of toxic pyrrolizidine alkaloids (PAs)
11. Epsom salt
Epsom salt is known to help relax the tissues in your muscles. By doing this, swelling may be able to be reduced. Epsom salt is very easily absorbed into the body so it can begin acting quickly. When it is absorbed, it reaches the tissues right away to help reduce swelling. Epsom salt is cheap and can be found anywhere.
- Epsom Salt
- Run a warm to hot bath.
- Put in a few tablespoons of epsom salt and allow it to dissolve.
- Sit in the warm bath and soak the affected area.
- Repeat this step until there has been a reduction in the pain or intensity of the bruise.
- HIGHEST PURE QUALITY (Packaged in USA): PURE UNSCENTED Epsoak Epsom Salt (Magnesium Sulfate) is USP grade and GMO free...
- DISSOLVES QUICKLY/GREAT VALUE: After soaking in Epsoak Epsom Salt it becomes clear why Epsoak is the leading name in...
- RELAX MUSCLES & IMPROVE SKIN: Known for its amazing therapeutic qualities, an epsom salt bath can help to relieve muscle...
- SUPERB QUALITY (Made in the USA): Sky Organics Epsom Salt (Magnesium Sulfate) is Pharmaceutical grade, free of...
- DISSOLVES FAST/PREMIUM VALUE: When you add Sky Organics Medium-Grain Epsom Salt to your bathwater, you'll understand the...
- SOOTHES MUSCLES & ENHANCES THE SKIN: An Epsom Salt bath can alleviate muscle pain, treat aching feet, eliminate toxins,...
Toothpaste is one of the oldest folk remedies around for bruises. This home remedy is said to help break up the blood clot that is causing the bruising; this will reduce the appearance of the bruise as well as the swelling and the pain that comes with it. It is said that you will notice the bruise get lighter in a single night. Toothpaste is already in everyone’s home, so this remedy is always available and virtually free of charge.
- Apply a bit of toothpaste to the bruise.
- Cover it with a bandage to stop any staining.
- Go to sleep with it on and rinse it off in the morning.
- Deep cleaning formula
- Healthier gums by helping prevent gingivitis
- Provides Crest Pro-Health Advanced Toothpaste's highest level of protection against plaque bacteria to keep gums healthy
- New Sensodyne Rapid Relief sensitivity toothpaste helps beat sensitivity pain fast by providing proven relief in just 3...
- Offers long-lasting protection from sensitivity pain
- Helps keep sensitivity triggers from reaching your nerves
13. Witch Hazel
Witch hazel is one of the more popular home remedies for bruises as well. It is able to not only heal wounds, but it can reduce the swelling in a bruise as well. Witch hazel can be found in health food store in its raw form. You can also get an ointment of witch hazel which is what is recommended.
- Witch hazel salve or ointment
- Put a good amount of witch hazel ointment onto the bruised area.
- Allow it to soak into the skin. Do not wash it off.
- Repeat every day until the bruise has lightened up and does not hurt anymore.
- Witch Hazel - Salve Ointment (2 oz, ZIN: 428501): Witch Hazel - Salve Ointment
Crushed parsley is another great home remedy. It is found in most people’s homes already, and those who do not have any can purchase it for cheap. Parsley is able to reduce inflammation and help with pain that comes with it. It can also reduce the coloration of the bruises to make you feel more confident.
- Rinse off a handful of parsley leaves and crush them up.
- Apply a generous amount of parsley to the bruised area and secure it with an elastic bandage.
- Let the parsley sit on the bruise for just under 10 minutes.
- Perform this task once every day.
15. Crushed Ginger
Crushed ginger works wonders on any inflamed skin. You can speed up the healing process of the bruise and reduce inflammation as well. Ginger can be purchased cheaply at a grocery store.
- Cut up ginger and then slice it up to make it easier to crush.
- Apply a generous amount of ginger to the bruised area and secure it with an elastic bandage.
- Perform this task once every day.
- 2 lbs. Fresh Ginger Root
- Fresh ginger is a staple in my kitchen. It is an extremely versatile ingredient.
- Ginger can be sliced into planks or matchsticks, chopped, grated, puréed, and minced,
In this article, we have provided you with a list of home remedies for bruises. We have also given you a step-by-step guide on how to use each one. Check out these home remedies and then return to our page. We want to know if these home remedies worked for you. Let us know how everything went in the comments section, which can be found below.