Chickenpox is a rash on the skin that is painful and itchy. It is highly infectious and contagious, affecting children more than adults. Besides the painful blisters it causes, chickenpox poses a number of other unpleasant symptoms, including fever, headache, fatigue and loss of appetite. In this article, we will explore a number of home remedies for chickenpox. These will help you get rid of chickenpox in an inexpensive and more easily accessible manner than taking medicine alone. Each one of our home remedies will come with a guide on how to complete them.
1. Drink Lots of Fluids and Eat the Right Foods
Staying hydrated is important when it comes to treating chickenpox. Your body needs plenty of water in order to recover from any illness or ailment. This is true for chickenpox. While drinking plenty of water, you also need to be sure that you are eating foods that align with the condition. That is to say, do not eat hard or overly salty or spicy foods. These could irritate the sores near the mouth.
- Preferred food items
- Drink plenty of water. Constantly sip on water and clear liquids throughout the day.
- Eat soft and bland foods, such as:
- Chicken noodle soup, cooled off
- Mashed potatoes
2. Gloves and Socks
Because chickenpox cause itching, you need to take measures to stop them from being scratched. At night, you may end up scratching yourself in your sleep without even realizing it. In order to prevent this, wear socks and gloves while you sleep. Keep your nails trimmed and clean to avoid bursting and infecting a blister. Wearing soft, loose cotton clothes may make you more comfortable as well.
- Loose cotton clothing
- Before going to bed, slip gloves and socks onto your hands and feet.
- Both in bed and during the day, wear loose cotton clothing. This way, tight, rough material won’t irritate your rash.
Neem leaves are rich with antiviral compounds. Because of this, they are able to fight back against the varicella zoster virus with ease. You can find neem leaves in nearly any grocery store for a cheap price. If you are having trouble finding these leaves there, check your local health food store. You can opt to take a neem bath or drink neem tea.
- Neem leaves
- Make a neem tea by boiling water and steeping the leaves.
- Once cooled, strain the mixture and drink it twice a day.
- Alternatively, you can draw a warm bath and drop in neem leaves.
- Then, soak in the neem bath. This will help soothe your skin.
3. Soak in Oatmeal
Another bath you can take is an oatmeal bath. Oatmeal has many soothing properties for the skin and is especially beneficial for chickenpox. The oats are good for relieving the itching as well. The oats in the water make a gooey mixture that will coat the skin and relieve its itchiness. Plain oatmeal can be purchased at any grocery store. It is inexpensive and can be bought in bulk so you can enjoy plenty of baths.
- Plain oatmeal
- Draw a warm bath that is not too hot and irritating.
- Dump in a general amount of oatmeal.
- Mix it up with your hands.
- Soak in this oatmeal solution for as long as you need.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
You might think that something as acidic might only hurt your chickenpox, but it won’t. In fact, it will do quite the opposite. The acidity in the apple cider vinegar is great at dealing with the itchiness. It also may be able to dry up the blisters more easily. If your blisters are broken open, you may want to skip this step as it may sting a bit.
- Apple cider vinegar
- Dilute a single tablespoon of apple cider vinegar inside of a cup of water.
- Using clean fingers or cotton pads, dab it onto the chickenpox gently.
- Allow it to sit for around 15 minutes or until the itching stops.
- Rinse with cool, soothing water.
|Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar, 16 Ounce (1 pack)||$8.55||Buy on Amazon|
|Viva Naturals Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, 32 oz||$10.48||Buy on Amazon|
6. Baking Soda
Baking soda is great at relieving the itch that comes with chickenpox. It has a neutralizing effect that can soothe the skin by helping to balance the pH on it. It can be found in nearly everyone’s home already for its numerous other uses. Because of this, you can enjoy a virtually free home remedy for chickenpox. If you don’t already have some, it is very cheap to buy at the store.
- Baking soda
- Clean sponge
- Pour a full glass of water.
- Add a few pinches of baking soda to the water.
- Mix it in well.
- Dip the sponge into the water.
- Dab it on your skin.
|365 Everyday Value, Baking Soda, 16 Ounce||$0.99||Buy on Amazon|
|Arm & Hammer Baking Soda, 16 oz (2 Pack)||$7.89||Buy on Amazon|
Honey is full of antiviral, antibacterial, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties. These are all excellent for those who suffer from chickenpox. It can help get rid of the varicella zoster virus that is causing the chickenpox in the first place. It can not only take on this virus, but it may be able to soothe the itch and the swelling of the skin as well. Raw honey works best for this, which is one of the reasons why it is often used as a home remedy for cystic acne, among other things.
- Raw honey
- Warm up a bit of honey so that it is easier to work with.
- Using clean fingers, apply it to your blisters
- Let it dry on your skin and then run cool water over it.
|Bee Harmony Brazilian Raw Organic Honey, 12 Ounce||$11.99||Buy on Amazon|
|Nature Nate’s 100% Pure Raw & Unfiltered Organic Honey; Made by...||$7.99||Buy on Amazon|
8. Chamomile Bath
Chamomile is one of the most soothing herbs around. Most commonly, it is known for its ability to reduce inflammation. It is also great at reducing the itch on your skin. Chamomile baths are excellent for covering the entire body in its soothing compounds. You can find chamomile in most grocery stores. If you have a hard time locating it there, try an herbal or health food store.
- Chamomile leaves, dried
- Run a warm bath that will not irritate the skin with its temperature.
- Pour in some chamomile leaves.
- Mix it with your hand into the water.
- Soak in the bath.
|Chinese Tea Culture Chamomile - Herbal - Flower Tea - Decaffeinated -...||$9.98||Buy on Amazon|
|Two Leaves and a Bud Organic Chamomile Herbal Tea Bags, 15 Count (Pack...||$26.97||Buy on Amazon|
9. Calamine Lotion
Calamine lotion can help soothe the skin affected by chickenpox. It is a helpful remedy in reducing irritation, generally used for minor irritations such as poison ivy or insect bites. Note that calamine, like all of the home remedies for chickenpox listed here does not treat the disease itself. It merely aids in alleviating the superficial symptoms. Calamine should not be used on open wounds or burns, nor should it be used around the eye area, as it can cause irritation. Stop using calamine if the rashes get worst soon after applying it.
- One tube of calamine
- Apply calamine to the affected area with a cotton swab or straight with your finger.
- Repeat 4 times a day.
|Mountain Falls Medicated Calamine Lotion External Analgesic Skin...||$3.00||Buy on Amazon|
|Swan Calamine Lotion - (2) 6 Oz. Bottles||$9.25||Buy on Amazon|
Coriander is one of the oldest home remedies for chickenpox. It has been shown to be able to speed up the healing process. Not only this, but after soaking in a coriander bath, you can enjoy the benefits all at once. It can cover all affected areas to promote itch relief sooner. Coriander, also called cilantro in some places, can be found fresh in any grocery store. It is relatively inexpensive to buy.
- Run a comfortable, lukewarm bath so your skin isn’t bothered by heat.
- Dump in a few handfuls of coriander.
- Mix it with your hand.
- Sit in the coriander bath and allow it to soothe your skin.
|Coriander Seeds Whole by Food to Live (Kosher, Bulk) — 8 Ounces||$5.49||Buy on Amazon|
|Organic Coriander Seeds (1lb) by Naturevibe Botanicals, Gluten-Free &...||$13.99||Buy on Amazon|
11. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt is a common choice for people of all skin conditions to bathe in. This is because it is soothing on the skin and can help calm down the inflammation. Epsom salt can also help dry out the blisters from chickenpox. Finding Epsom salt is as simple as heading to your department store, pharmacy or beauty aisle.
- Epsom salt
- Fill a bathtub with water that is lukewarm to soothe your skin instead of irritating it.
- Pour in Epsom salt and mix it around to dissolve it a bit with your hand.
- Soak in this bathtub for around half an hour.
- Gently pat yourself dry instead of wiping as not to irritate your pox.
|Epsoak Epsom Salt 19lbs Magnesium Sulfate USP Resealable Bulk Bag||$27.99||Buy on Amazon|
|Epsom Salt By Sky Organics (5 LBS)- 100% Pure Magnesium...||$15.99||Buy on Amazon|
Jasmine is one of the most soothing plants around. Both its leaves and its flowers are used for baths and teas to help treat chickenpox. You can steep the leaves in hot water to drink it or put them into a bath. The natural components of the jasmine are able to relieve irritation and itching. It is also an anti-inflammatory which can help reduce painful swelling around the spots.
- Jasmine leaves or flowers
- Heat water to a boil.
- Pour hot water over leaves in a mug.
- Steep and then strain.
- Let the tea cool and then drink it.
- Pour the leaves into a bath.
- Soak in it for half an hour.
|Tealyra - Jasmine Yin hao - Loose Leaf Green Tea - Premium Chinese Tea...||$13.87||Buy on Amazon|
|Jasmine Dragon Pearls Green Tea - Premium Flavor Organic Tea Jasmine...||$18.99||Buy on Amazon|
13. Sandalwood Essential Oil
Sandalwood is one of the most effective essential oils for chickenpox when used in a bath. This is because it contains both antibacterial and antiviral properties. Not only this but it can protect your skin from secondary infections that often come with chickenpox. You can mix it into a bath or apply it straight to the skin using a clean cotton pad. Sandalwood essential oil can be found in any health store and in most department stores.
- Sandalwood essential oil
- Draw a warm, comfortable temperature bath.
- Pour in several drops of sandalwood essential oil.
- Mix it around in the warm bath water.
- Soak in it until you feel soothed, around half an hour.
|Indian Mysore Sandalwood Essential Oil, 100% Pure, Undiluted,...||$49.95||Buy on Amazon|
|Sandalwood Essential Oil (Sandalwood)||$19.00||Buy on Amazon|
14. Vitamin D
Sun is one of the best ways to treat your chickenpox. Since it is so contagious, a lot of people try to stay inside as not to spread it. But if you can get outside into a private yard, you will benefit. It is important to spend a few minutes a day outside in the sunshine to get the right amount of vitamin D that your body needs.
If the sun is too much to bare, there are other ways to get the vitamin D that you need. You can eat food that is rich in vitamin D. You can take vitamin D supplement pills as well.
- Vitamin D supplements or vitamin D rich food
Eat foods regularly like:
- Egg yolk
- Boiled eggs
- Edible mushrooms
- Cheeses of all kinds
- Most breakfast cereals
- Tuna fish
Take vitamin D supplements according to your doctor or the bottle.
|Bronson Vitamin D3 2000 IU Certified Organic Vitamin D Supplement,...||$14.99||Buy on Amazon|
|NatureWise Vitamin D3 5,000 IU for Healthy Muscle Function, Bone...||$10.85||Buy on Amazon|
15. Frozen Bags of Peas
The inflammation caused by the chickenpox is likely painful for you. One of the easiest ways to treat acute inflammation is with cool therapy. You can use small bags filled with ice or use frozen vegetables, such as peas. This is one of the most simple and popular home remedies for inflammation. Using these frozen items, you can gently place it on your blisters to help relieve some of the pain and numb it.
- Bag of frozen veggies, such as peas
- Thin, clean, cotton towel
- Wrap a thin towel around the bag of peas.
- Very gently, press the bag of peas to your pox.
- Let it rest there for 10 minutes and then move it to another place to let that spot rest.
- Repeat this process until all portions of your chickenpox have been soothed.
Chickenpox is highly infectious and can strike any child at any time. There are ways you can help alleviate its symptoms right at home. In this article, we have provided you with home remedies for chickenpox. Have we left out your go-to method? Tell us all about it in the comments section below.