Several types of ear mites can live in your pet’s ears, but the most common kind is Otodectes cynotis. These tiny, eight-legged parasites feed off the oils and wax in your pet’s ear canal and cause inflammation and irritation. Common signs of ear mites infestation include head shaking, a strong odor coming from the ears, excessive rubbing or scratching of the ears, ear inflammation, a brown or black waxy ear secretion, and a coffee ground-like discharge, according to PetMD. Left untreated, ear mites can cause infections and total obstruction of the ear canal. There are several great home remedies you can use to treat your pet that might save you money and a trip to the vet.
1. White Vinegar
White vinegar is one of the best home remedies for ear mites in dogs and cats. Not only does white vinegar kill adolescent and adult ear mites when they come into contact with it, the vinegar also cleans your pet’s ears from the dirt and debris ear mites leave behind in the ear canal.
- One tablespoon white vinegar
- Two tablespoons warm water
- Two cotton balls
To use this effective ear mite home remedy for dogs and cats, combine one tablespoon of white vinegar and two tablespoons of warm (not hot!) water in a clean bowl. Pour the liquid into your pet’s ears, and gently massage them. When you are sure the whole ear has been in contact with the diluted white vinegar, use a cotton ball to gently wipe out the inside of each ear.
Caution: Do not use white vinegar if your pet has any open sores in their ears. Doing so will cause stinging and pain.
- Premium distilled white vinegar for all your recipe needs
- Sourced from sun-ripened corn
- All-Natural Ingredients
- GET A MUST-HAVE FACIAL CLEANSING PADS SET and make sure your face, neck & décolleté are perfectly clean! Made from...
- REMOVE NAIL POLISH IN A BREEZE! It is a multipurpose beauty cotton pads set, to be used for different purposes. Make it...
- TEAR RESISTANT & ULTRA ABSORBENT! AnnaLisa ORGANIC cotton pads will impress you with their quality and durability!...
- IT'S IN THE BAG: Comes in re-sealable, re-usable storage bag to protect the cotton from the elements and for ease of...
- LONG-LASTING: 100-count package is long-lasting for many memorable skincare and make-up moments ahead.
- AU NATUREL: Each triple-sized ball is made with only 100% organic cotton for comfort and non-irritation.
2. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera has a multitude of uses and is a great ear mite home remedy for dogs and cats. Aloe vera possesses compounds that contain anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. Aloe vera also boosts the skin’s ability to regenerate and repair itself. This home remedy for ear mites in dogs and cats can speed up the healing from the lesions caused by ear mites.
- Aloe vera plant or organic aloe vera gel
- Cotton balls
If you don’t have an aloe vera plant, you can purchase one at your local nursery. Break a leaf off of your aloe vera plant, put the gel from the leaf onto a cotton ball, and gently rub the gel into your pet’s ears. Repeat every day for one week.
- Majestic Pure Aloe Vera Gel; made with certified organic Aloe Vera; WATERY consistency as 99.7% ingredient is Aloe Vera...
- Help soothe and hydrate dry, rough, itchy or irritated skin on contact. Can be used to help with eczema, psoriasis,...
- SAFETY WARNING: For external use only. Keep out of the reach of children and pets; Avoid contact with eyes; Rub a very...
- #1 HIGHEST QUALITY - to ensure freshness, our Aloe is proudly grown here in Southern Texas, in USDA (OTCO) certified...
- HARVESTED FOR US - from real FRESHLY CUT Aloe leaves, not powder - making it one of the purest and strongest on the...
- THE DIFFERENCE in skin treated with Seven Minerals Aloe Gel is striking. Thanks to 100% natural thickener Seaweed...
3. Mineral Oil
Mineral oil smothers adolescent and adult ear mites when they come into contact with it. One study found that treating cat ear mites with two milliliters of mineral oil-based ointment and 30 seconds of massage at the base of the ear eliminated the ear mites after only two treatments, one week apart. Mineral oil is perhaps one of the most effective home remedies for ear mites in dogs you can use for your pet.
- Mineral oil
- Cotton balls
Fill an eye dropper with mineral oil. Place a few drops of mineral oil into each of your pet’s ears and massage the base of each ear for 30 seconds to ensure that the oil gets into your pet’s ear canal. Next, put some mineral oil on a cotton ball, and use the cotton ball to wipe out the insides of your pet’s ears. Repeat twice each week for at least one month.
- FDA food grade - safe for use on wood and bamboo cutting boards, countertops, utensils, salad bowls and wood products
- Pure USP mineral oil - highest quality white mineral oil for food contact with tamper seal, unlike lower quality bulk...
- Restores and protects wood - hydrates, seals and penetrates deeply into wood to protect from water to prevent cracking...
- NATURAL MOISTURIZER & FRAGRANCE-FREE MAKEUP REMOVER.
- CONDITIONS WOOD & POLISHES STAINLESS STEEL.
- PROTECTS METAL FROM RUSTING.
- Spark an early interest in STEM learning with these versatile eyedroppers
- Set of 12 clear plastic eyedroppers perfect for elementary science class lessons
- Plastic construction is safer than glass for children to use
- Straight pipettes
- With glass tube and tapered rubber bulbs
- 70mm long
Mineral oil is also featured in our article on the best home remedies for mange – if you have pets, you should check it out!
4. Boric Acid
Boric acid is often used in the treatment of cuts and wounds because it has antiseptic properties. Its antiseptic properties also make it good at treating ear infections caused by ear mites. In fact, one study indicates that boracic acid works as effectively as steroid and antibiotic ear drops at treating chronic ear infections.
- One-fourth cup of boric acid.
- One cup of warm water.
- Cotton balls.
To use boric acid as one of the most effective home remedies for dog ear mites, combine one-fourth cup of acid and one cup of lukewarm water in a clean bowl. Use a cotton ball to apply the mixture to the insides of your pet’s ears. Repeat once a day for two weeks.
- √ PROVEN EFFICIENCY: Odorless, all natural, non- staining 100% Pure Boric Acid Powder with no contaminants or other...
- √ COUNTLESS APPLICATIONS: Use inside to clean bacterial messes and outside in your lawn and garden. Boric Acid...
- √ GRANULAR PROPERTY: Powerful, longer lasting effects due to the granules, which release their effects continuously
- √ SUPERIOR AND EXTREMELY EFFECTIVE: Premium, odorless, non- staining 100% Pure Boric Acid Powder. Packaged in our bulk...
- √ PURE BORIC ACID: 100% Boric Acid with no additives, contaminants or other chemicals. USP Grade, safe for household...
- √ COUNTLESS APPLICATIONS: Several uses, inside and outside for bacterial messes or lawn and garden needs. Boric Acid...
5. Oregano Oil
As far as home remedies for ear mites go, the combination of oregano oil and olive oil is a good one. Oregano oil contains antiparasitic, antiviral, anti-inflammatory, antifungal, and antibacterial properties. The oil will help your pet get rid of her ear mites quickly.
- One-half teaspoon of oregano essential oil.
- One-half an ounce of olive oil.
- Clean container with a lid.
Combine one-half teaspoon of oregano essential oil and one-half an ounce of olive oil in a container. Cover the container and allow the mixture to sit for 48 hours. Put two drops of the solution into your pet’s ears twice each day with an eye dropper.
- HIGH QUALITY OREGANO OIL: 100% pure, gentle, and effective natural oregano oil from a non-GMO source. No toxins or...
- MADE WITH LOVE: UpNature was founded by two brothers with a vision to provide 100% all natural products, for easy,...
- FIGHT COLDS: A soothing oil to keep you healthy all year round.
- GUARANTEED HIGHEST QUALITY, MOST POTENT OREGANO OIL - What sets Artizen Essential Oils apart are their unparalleled...
- DON'T FALL VICTIM TO CHEAP DILUTED OREGANO OIL - Most of the Competition Dilute Their Oil with a Cheap Carrier Oil or...
- MOST 4 OUNCE OREGANO OILS CONTAIN LESS THAN 1/3 OF NATURAL OIL - Unfortunately, there's a lot of misrepresentation of...
- USDA Certified Organic
- First cold pressed
- Oil will impart a wonderful flavor to your foods
- 100% pure extra virgin olive oil is cold pressed, unfiltered and sourced from small organic farmers in Greece
- Our EVOO has been certified with a protected designation of origin seal, guaranteeing its origin and purity
- The fact that our EVOO is unfiltered makes all the difference as it means all of olive oil's beneficial nutrients and...
6. Yellow Dock Root Extract
Yellow dock root extract is known for its benefits for skin conditions, such as eczema and psoriasis. It’s also one of the best home remedies for ear mites you can use. Several studies show that yellow dock root extract can fight harmful organisms that can worsen ear mite infections.
- Nine drops of yellow dock root extract.
- One tablespoon of warm water.
- Clean bowl.
To use this home remedy for ear mites in cats and dogs, mix nine drops of yellow dock root extract and one tablespoon of warm water together in a clean bowl. Use an eye dropper to put two to three drops of the mixture into your pet’s ears. Massage the ear so that the mixture gets into your pet’s ear canal. You can repeat this treatment every two to three days, depending on how severe your pet’s ear mites are. The treatment should be continued for at least six weeks.
- Expertly extracted for support of the digestive system.
- Prepared from the certified organic and/or sustainably wildcrafted roots of Rumex crispus plants.
- Rapidly absorbed liquid extract.
- Highest Strength, Super concentrated Yellow dock liquid extract!
- Yellow dock tincture contains ONLY natural ingredients!
- High Quality Yellow dock liquid extract - crude extract of first extraction! We meticulously produce our extracts...
7. Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is one of the most effective home remedies for dog ear mites you can use. Studies show that hydrogen peroxide in various concentrations can suppress parasitic activity and eventually kill the parasites causing problems.
- Hydrogen peroxide.
- Clean bowl.
- Cotton balls.
Pour some hydrogen peroxide into a small bowl. Soak a cotton ball in the solution. Use the cotton ball to gently clean out your pet’s ears. Be very careful not to get any hydrogen peroxide in or near your pet’s eyes. Repeat two to three times each week.
Caution: As far as home remedies for ear mites go, hydrogen peroxide is a great one. However, if your dog won’t sit still for the cleaning, you may not want to use this home remedy. You must be incredibly careful not to get any hydrogen peroxide in or near your pet’s eyes.
- Contents inside box may be substituted with equivalent products in different brand names
- Local antiseptic to treat minor cuts and abrasions
- 16 ounce
- 3% Hydrogen Peroxide U.S.P.
- First aid antiseptic
- For minor cuts and abrasions
8. Green Tea Rinse
As far as home remedies for ear mites go, a green tea rinse is a good choice. Green tea has antiseptic properties and can be used to flush out your pet’s ear canals.
- One tablespoon of loose green tea leaves.
- One cup of hot water.
- Cotton balls.
Interested in more home remedies for pets? Check out our collection of home remedies for kennel cough and this rundown of the most effective home remedies for bladder infection in dogs.
You can easily make your own green tea rinse at home to clean your pet’s ears. Put one tablespoon of loose green tea leaves into one cup of hot water, and allow it to steep for four minutes. Then, strain and allow the tea to cool to room temperature. Soak a cotton ball in the tea and use it to gently wash the insides of your pet’s ears once each day for one month.
- 100% NATURAL & GREEN TEA LEAVES - Exclusive Long Leaf Green Tea rich with Natural Anti-Oxidants & Flavonoids....
- 100% NATURAL 14 DAY DETOX TEA - Unlike popular 14 Day Detox Tea, 14 Day Cleanse, 14 Day Teabox Tea, 14 Day Teatox -...
- A BRAND WITH A BILLION DREAMS - Established in India by a 26-year-old, 4th generation Tea entrepreneur, Vahdam Teas is...
- Limited Period Festival Offer on Fresh Bio Organic Darjeeling Loose Leaf Green Teas from Darjeeling, India
- A good quality regular Grade ( GT-FTGFOP ) Pan Fired Green Tea from Selim Hill Tea Estate, Darjeeling making it one of...
- Flavor of this loose leaf green tea is refreshing, and has a freshness of pleasant vegetation, floral and a nice and...
9. Almond Oil
Almond oil is another one of the best home remedies for ear mites in cats and dogs you can use. Moreover, the combination of vitamin E and almond oil effectively kills ear mites. Vitamin E and almond oil also soothes, moisturizes, and heals your pet’s ears.
- One-half an ounce of almond oil.
- 400 IU vitamin E capsules.
- Clean, small bowl.
- Cotton balls.
Combine one-half an ounce of almond oil and the contents of one 400 IU vitamin E capsule in a clean, small bowl. Allow the mixture to reach room temperature before filling an eye dropper halfway full with the liquid. Squirt one-half an eye dropper full of liquid into each of your pet’s ears. Massage your pet’s ears in order to ensure the liquid gets into his ear canals. Use a clean cotton ball to wipe away any excess liquid.
- 100% PURE - Our sweet almond oil is unscented, undiluted and contains no added ingredients. Tested for purity with every...
- TOP GRADE ALMOND - Unlike bitter almonds, our almond oil is pressed from the sweet almond tree, Prunus dulcis. Sweet...
- SKIN & HAIR SOFTENER - Sweet almond oil nourishes skin and hair and can be added to your daily beauty routine morning or...
- 100% PURE ORGANIC - Sky Organics Sweet Almond Oil is sourced directly from organic artisanal farmers
- COLD PRESSED FOR QUALITY - The oil is obtained by pressing and grinding seeds or fruits using granite millstones or a...
- HEALTHY AND SAFE - It is safe for sensitive skin, and even on babies. It has no additives and harmful chemicals such as...
- 400 IU of Vitamin E Per Capsule
- 240 Softgel Capsules Per Bottle
- Quality Guaranteed
- NATURAL VITAMIN E: Contains 80% d-alpha Tocopherol.
- POWERFUL: Vitamin E has been found to help to diminish the effects of aging!
- HIGHEST QUALITY FORMULA: Best ingredients available. Manufactured at FDA cGMP certified facility.
Honey contains antimicrobial and antibacterial properties. Honey provides a protective barrier for the ear, thus preventing infection. In addition, the sugar in honey prevents the growth and spread of infection-causing microorganisms. For these reasons, honey is one of the most effective home remedies for ear mites you can try.
- One tablespoon of raw organic honey.
- Cotton balls.
- Warm water.
To use this home remedy for ear mites in cats and dogs, dip a clean cotton ball into some raw organic honey. Gently wipe the insides of your pet’s ears with the cotton ball. Massage the ears to ensure the honey gets into the ear canals. Leave the honey in the ears for 30 minutes before gently rinsing it out with warm water. However, you should only use 100% raw organic honey for this home remedy because processed honey doesn’t contain the same antiseptic and antibacterial properties that 100% raw organic honey does.
- Certified Organic, certified Gluten Free, OU Kosher certified and reliably produced without the use of herbicides,...
- Responsibly sourced, thoroughly tested and minimally processed, Nature Nate's organic honey impeccably complements...
- Unlike overly manufactured pasteurized substitutes, raw unfiltered honey contains a greater variety of organic...
- Y.S. Eco Bee Farms
- Y.S. Eco Bee Farms 100% Certified Organic Raw Honey 8 oz Paste
Garlic is a good home remedy for ear mites in dogs because its active compound, allicin, possesses antibacterial and antiparasitic properties. Garlic effectively inhibits the growth and spread of microbes and parasites.
- Six cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped.
- One tablespoon of olive oil.
- Food processor or garlic press.
Grind six cloves of peeled and finely chopped garlic cloves in a food processor until you obtain a paste-like consistency. Add one tablespoon of olive oil, and mix the ingredients well. Warm the garlic and olive oil in a saucepan on your stove over low heat. Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature before you use an eye dropper to put the garlic and olive oil into each of your dog’s ears.
Caution: Garlic is toxic to dogs and cats, so make sure they don’t have access to this ingredient or to the final product. Wrap the treated area in a towel to stop them from licking the treatment.
12. Corn Oil
Corn oil is another great home remedy for ear mites in cats and dogs you can try. Corn oil drowns ear mites and relieves itchiness and pain.
- Corn oil.
- Cotton balls.
Use an eye dropper to put two to three drops of corn oil into your pet’s ears. Massage the ears gently to ensure the corn oil gets into the ear canals. Use a cotton ball to rub some corn oil onto your pet’s outer ears as well. Repeat once each day for 10 days.
- Heart healthy
- 100% corn oil
- Increases diet energy density and energy intake
- Decreases amount of feed needed to provide energy
Sulfur is one of the most effective home remedies for ear mites in dogs and cats as it kills bacteria and dries out the skin of the mites. Although it has a potent smell, this is one of the fastest-acting remedies you could try to relieve the symptoms.
- Purified water
- Recovery cone
Make a thick paste out of sulfur and water and apply this to the affected area. Place the recovery cone on your pet to prevent them from interfering with the healing process or from ingesting the treatment. Wash off with lukewarm water after a few hours and repeat this process every three days until you completely get rid of ear mites.
- 5 Pounds of Greenway Biotech Organic Sulfur Powder (Micronized) -- Repackaged from Organic and OMRI Listed Sulfur Powder
- Great Source of Fertilizer for Acid Loving Plants (e.g. Blueberries)
- Excellent Soil Additive to Adjust pH Level
- 99.9 percent pure
- Great for experiments
- Includes Adjustable Measuring Spoon
- PERFECT PROTECTION: The dog cone is a safe and humane method of preventing animals from aggravating a healing wound or...
- COMFORTABLE: PP and Polyester fabric material, lightweight, transparent plastic having linear structure and built-in...
- ERGONOMIC CONE DESIGN: The premium protective cat cone is soft and washable, it will not mark or scrape furniture. Also...
- 1> SIZE: Small size 6#, Neck Circumference: 18-22 cm, Depth/ Width: 11 cm, most suitable for 6~9 lbs cat, and mini doggy...
- 2> FEATURE: Enough depth prevent pet licking itself completely. Adjustable hook & loop for fast open and close, on/off...
- 3> MATERIAL: Made of high quality lightweight plastic, it's very light! Not make your lovable pets tired, and it's easy...
Ear mites are uncomfortable for cats and dogs and can cause complications such as infection and ear obstruction. These home remedies for ear mites will help you help your pet feel better. Have you tried any home remedies for ear mites? How successful were they?