Gas pains can stem from a number of different issues, including diet, activity levels, and stress. Along with the pain also comes bloating and discomfort, so getting rid of these pains as soon as possible is on most people’s to do list. In this article, we will look at some of the best home remedies for gas.
We will talk about the necessary ingredients along with how to take each one.
1. Activated Charcoal
Activated charcoal is known for its ability to draw out toxins, most notably the ones on the skin. Did you know that it can be used internally as well to help with a number of other conditions? One of the most common ones is gas pains. Activated charcoal can leach the gas out of your body, clinging to it instead to relieve gas pains.
- Activated charcoal drinks or pills.
- Take an activated charcoal pill when you have gas pains and wait for relief.
- Drink activated charcoal for relief that comes on sooner than taking a pill will afford.
2. Alpha Galactosidase Enzyme
Also known as the brand name Beano, Alpha Galactosidase Enzyme can help to stop gas and all of the disomfort that it brings. It naturally prevents gas by using the enzymes to break down the complex carbs that many foods have. These carbs are often what is responsible for gas in the first place.
- Take Beano before you eat a meal. You can also take it after the fact if you are having acute gas pains and need relief right away.
3. Peppermint Tea
Peppermint Tea is known for its soothing properties. It can help with your gas problems as well as it soothes the stomach and can absorb some of the gas. The best way to ingest peppermint is to enjoy it in a tea.
- Peppermint leaves
- Bring water to its boiling point.
- Place the peppermint leaves into the bottom of the mug or mix the peppermint leaves in.
- Cover the peppermint leaves with water.
- Steep it for 10-15 minutes.
- Drink the whole cup up to twice daily or while having acute pains.
- Enjoy the warmth that comes along with the hot tea to further soothe your ailments.
Ginger is one of the most common things that people turn to when they have upset stomachs. It can quell a number of different stomach or intestinal issues, including gas. It is a quick herbal remedy that makes getting rid of cast effective and inexpensive.
- Ginger root
- Chop up ginger root.
- Chew on it throughout the day. When gas pain hits acutely, chew on it to help stop the pain and relieve the bloat.
5. Passing Gas
Of course, if you can, one of the easiest–and the freest–way to get rid of gas pain is to pass gas. This will push the gas out of your body and relieve the pressure. After all, it is the pressure and the gas that is trapped and has nowhere to go that is causing these pains.
If you manage, try to pass gas in order to relieve these symptoms.
If that is not an option at the time, use some of the other home remedies listed here. These are more powerful and are simple to access.
Caraway are seeds that you can eat to enjoy quick relief from gas. They have been used from as far back as the middle ages for treating gas and other stomach pains. Caraway seeds are found in health food stores and in most grocery stores, making them quick solutions that are easily accessible.
- Caraway in some form
- You can eat a handful of caraway seeds if you have them handy.
- There are crackers that are made specifically out of caraway. This can help you get down the ingredient faster.
7. Chamomile Tea
Chamomile is a natural anti-inflammatory that can help relieve the inflammation in your intestines. This can also relieve the pain of gas by making more room for it. An anti-spasmodic, chamomile can help gas that is caused by indigestion.
- Chamomile leaves
- Boil some water.
- Place the chamomile leaves into the bottom of the mug or mix the chamomile leaves in.
- Douse the chamomile leaves with boiling water.
- Steep it for around 10-15 minutes.
- Drink the whole cup when symptoms strike.
Pumpkin has long since been used to treat upset stomachs for a while now, in both animals and people. It can neutralize the acids in the stomach and calm inflammation which is great for getting rid of gas.
- Cut up the pumpkin into chunks.
- Mix it into your food or eat it on its own.
- You can also puree it and eat it that way.
9. Lemon Water
Lemon is an acid that is good for the body. It is especially good for those who are dealing with gas pains. The acid in the lemons stimulates the production of a good acid called HCL. More HCL means that the food breaks down more easily. This, in turn, makes it easier for the body to break down your food which leads to less gas pains.
- Fresh lemon or lemon juice
- Heat up a cup of water until it is pleasantly warm.
- Cut three slices of fresh lemon.
- Squeeze the juice into the water.
- Substitute lemon juice for fresh lemon if you need to.
10. Anise Seed
Anise seed is an antispasmodic. This can help to relax your digestive tract which can cause gas pains. Relief from cramping is one thing, but this is also a carminative. All this means is that it is an agent that can expel gas. It has been used by parents to give relief to children with colic for years.
- When you have acute gas pains, eat a handful of Anise seed.
- You can also eat some throughout the day if you want to stave off gas pains before they even begin to form. Keep some in the cupboard for this purpose.
Cumin contains essential oils that are able to get saliva flowing. More saliva flow means that food breaks down easier. With that happening, excess gas will not form. You can eat cumin in your food or you can enjoy it in a tea.
- Cook as much food with cumin in it as you can manage.
- If you need instant relief, power through it and drink it in a glass of water.
Making tea out of heeng is also another way to relieve gas pains. It is an anti-flatulent. This means that it stops the growth of gut bacteria which is often responsible for producing excess gas and causing these pains. Enjoy it as a tea by following the steps below.
- Boil water on the stove.
- Place the heeng into the bottom of the mug or mix the heeng thoroughly into the water.
- Drench the heeng with hot water.
- Allow it to sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Drink the whole cup when you experience symptoms.
Triphala is an herbal powder that has been shown to help with gas pains. When drank as a tea, it can absorb some of the gas and cause it to expel itself at the same time to provide relief. It can be found in a cost effective bottle at a local health food store.
- Mix up the powder with water.
- Drink it when you get gas pains.
- You can also drink it throughout the day to help stave them off.
Cinnamon stops the formation of gas. It does this in the way that it reduces the gastric acid in the stomach walls. Cinnamon is known to give a person instantaneous relief from gas. Cinnamon is also a fairly common household item; if you do not already have it in your cupboard, you can get it anywhere for cheap.
- Warm up the milk. You do not want it to be too hot; you just want it warm enough to where it is pleasant to drink.
- Place the cinnamon into the bottom of the mug or mix the ingredient in. Either way, you want it to dissolve as much as you can make it dissolve.
- Cover the cinnamon with milk.
- Steep it for 10-15 minutes. You want to let it sit for as long as it takes to cool down just a little bit.
- Let the cinnamon really soak into the liquid.
- Drink the whole cup up to twice daily.
- You can do this as a preventative measure or drink it when you have acute gas pains.
- Enjoy the warmth that comes along with the milk to further soothe your ailments.
Probiotics can help with the digestion of food. It does this by balancing the stomach acids, ensuring that your food gets digested properly. By proper digestion, less gas will be formed and gas pains will be a thing of the past. Probiotics can also help stave of indigestion. You can get probiotics from:
You can also take probiotic pills. All of the food listed above as well as the pills can often be found in grocery stores. Some are speciality items, so that may be trickier to find unless you are at a restaurant that sells it or you make it yourself.
- One of the above ingredients or food
- Probiotic pills
- Eat the food on a regular basis to get a healthy dose of probiotics.
- Take the probiotic pills once a day. It is preferable if you take them 30 minutes before a meal.
Gas pain is no fun for anyone, but luckily there are ways to treat this condition from the comfort of your own home. Whether that means that you are treating the pain as it comes on or preventing it, you can do it all with natural ingredients. There is a huge selection of tools that you can use as home remedies for gas, from pills to teas and beyond.
In this article, we detailed the home remedies for gas for you to try. Did we forget your go-to method? Tell us about it. We want to hear what you do when you have gas pain in the comments section below.