Hand tremors are when your hands shake without much of a cause. Sometimes they may shake when you are anxious or nervous, but if they shake during other times, it could be cause for concern. Hand tremors can be caused by Parkinson’s Disease. Other causes of hand tremors include stroke, low blood sugar, multiple sclerosis, traumatic brain injury and more. In this article, we will offer you home remedies for hand tremors. Each one of the home remedies listed will come with their own instructions to complete them. These remedies are inexpensive and can be used in conjunction with other treatments you may be receiving.
High blood pressure is often the cause of hand tremors. To deal with the symptoms of high blood pressure specifically, take a look at our home remedies for high blood pressure.
1. Stop Caffeine Intake
Caffeine is another contributing factor to shaking hands. By significantly reducing or eliminating caffeine from your diet, you may be able to help stop your hand tremors. Caffeine comes not only from coffee and tea; it can also be found in soda and even chocolate. Consuming more than 300 milligrams a day can have adverse effects, one of those being hand tremors. Caffeine can be replaced by other more natural energy producers if you use caffeine to wake up in the morning.
- Try to slowly reduce the amount of caffeine you are consuming each day.
- You do not want to stop altogether if you consume a lot of caffeine; this could leave you with withdrawal headaches.
2. Avoid Alcohol
Alcohol consumption is responsible for hand tremors of different kinds. These kinds include symptomatic palatal, essential palatal and physiological. Drinking itself is detrimental to the health of your central nervous system. If you stop drinking after drinking for long periods of time, your hands could shake. Hand tremors are one of the telltale signs of alcohol tremors. The best way to get rid of the tremors is to stop or slow down your drinking. There are resources to help you do this.
- Try to reduce the amount of alcohol you consume each day.
- Reduce the drinks you intake slowly in order to not go into withdrawal.
Yoga is a great way to handle stress. Stress is believed to be one of the main causes of hand tremors. There are a number of poses you can do in yoga; it doesn’t matter if you are a beginner or an advanced practitioner. Yoga can also strengthen your hands which may help stop the tremors as well. Since yoga is an activity that can be done at home, it does not require you to spend any money.
- Lay out a yoga mat.
- Buy yoga instructional videos or search for free courses that are available online through video sites.
- Try to do yoga twice a day–once in the morning and again during the evening.
4. Herbal Mixture
There are a few kinds of herbs that may be able to help your hand tremors. Herbal mixtures are going to be the most effective when it comes to herbal treatment; you can get the benefits of the different herbs and what they have to offer. All of the herbs that you can use are easily found in any grocery store. Still, if you have trouble locating them at the store, check instead at a health food store.
Herbs such as:
- Grind all of these ingredients and mix them together.
- Eat half a teaspoon of this powder up to three times a day.
Valerian is known for its potent effects when it comes to calming the nerves. It is also good for helping a person relax in general and enjoy deeper sleep. Because of its calming effects, it may be able to help your hand tremors as well. Valerian is natural and can be found in most homeopathic or health food stores.
- Valerian root
- Boil two cups of water.
- Place valerian root into a cup.
- Pour the boiling water over the root.
- Allow it to steep for five minutes.
- Once the liquid is cool, drink the root tea.
- Try and drink this tea up to three times a day.
6. Vitamin B1 and Magnesium
Both magnesium and vitamin B1 are excellent at helping with hand tremors. When there is a deficiency of magnesium in the body, twitching and muscle tremors can occur among other symptoms. Vitamin B1 is excellent at stimulating the nerves and helping your body metabolize hand tremors. If you cannot get enough of these nutrients through diet alone, consider taking a supplement.
- Take magnesium and vitamin B1 supplements.
- Magnesium and vitamin B1 rich foods and/or vitamin B1 foods
- Eat foods rich in magnesium and/or vitamin B, such as:
- Dark chocolate
- Enriched soy
- Fortified breakfast cereals
- Pumpkin seed
- Rice milk
7. Lemon Balm
Lemon balm is one of the most effective ways to stop hand tremors. It is able to relax the cells of the brain. It can also diffuse nervous tension, lessen your headaches, relieve depressive symptoms and anxiety. Lemon balm may relax you enough to stop hand tremors. You can find lemon balm in most grocery stores. If you have difficulty locating it there, you can always try a health food store.
- Put a bit of lemon balm on your hands.
- Rub the balm into your skin.
- Massage each of your hands with the lemon balm.
- Do this a few times a day until the hand tremors stop.
8. Use a Stress Ball
Using a stress ball for hand tremors is beneficial in two ways. You can help reduce stress by squeezing it, as stress is one of the major causes of hand tremors. Not only this, but you can also strengthen the muscles in your hand as well. The double benefit of the stress ball may be able to play a major part in your ability to ward off hand tremors. Stress balls are easy to come across at department stores and even office supply stores.
- Squeeze the stress ball as tightly as you can in the palm of your hand.
- Hold the position for as long as you can–ideally five seconds–and then relax.
- Repeat this throughout the day up to 10 times.
9. Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Omega-3 fatty acids are helpful in calming a person’s nerves. This is because they help cover the myelin of the nerves. By doing this, these acids may help stop inflammation of the nerves and preserve the health of them at the same time. Inflammation usually makes those who suffer from hand tremors shake worse. You can get omega-3 fatty acids in supplement form or by eating certain things.
- Omega 3 fatty acids in supplement or food form
Eat omega 3 fatty acid rich food such as:
- Brussels sprouts
- Chia seeds
- Wild rice
- Winter squash
10. Kava Kava
A popular ceremonial drink in the Pacific, kava kava is a drink known to relax a person. Relaxation is key to helping quell hand tremors. A study has been conducted by the University of Maryland to confirm its benefits. They state that the herb can treat sleep disorders, anxiety and, most importantly, nerve disorders. Kava kava herb can be found in many health food stores. You can make it as a tea to enjoy it as a drink like so many do.
- A small amount of kava kava herb
- Boil water.
- Pour the water over kava kava herb in a mug.
- Allow it to steep for 10 minutes.
- Drink the mixture once it has cooled off.
Passionflower has been used to treat both anxiety and seizures for many centuries. Most people use passionflower nowadays in order to become calm. There have been studies that state passionflower is able to raise the levels of gamma-aminobutyric in the brain. Because of this, it can help reduce the intensity of the tremors in your hands. Find passionflower in most health food stores local to you.
- Put passionflower into a mug.
- Boil water and pour the water over the flower.
- Allow it to steep for 15 minutes.
- Once the tea has been cooled enough, drink it.
- Try to drink this tea throughout the day for best results.
Lavender is another common herb used for calming. It may perhaps be the most commonly used one of all. It may especially improve the health of the nervous system. This is beneficial because the nervous system plays such a part in hand tremors. Lavender is also known to be able to reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety. Lavender can help eliminate muscle spasms and tremors by relaxing you.
- Fresh lavender or lavender essential oils
- Put a few drops of lavender essential oils on your pillowcase to breathe in.
- You can also make a lavender tea with fresh lavender leaves by pouring hot water over them.
Corydalis is used in traditional Chinese medicine in order to treat issues surrounding the nervous system. Most commonly, it was used for hand tremors. This plant is full of alkaloid and bulbocapnine. Both of these compounds are excellent for reducing convulsions, seizures and tremors of the entire body. It does this by treating the spasms and tension that cause hand tremors. You can find corydalis in any health food store.
- You can take the oral supplements for corydalis as directed by your doctor or on the bottle.
- You can also make a tea to drink out of fresh corydalis.
Chamomile is another popular herb that is used for calming. You can find chamomile in many forms such as tea or supplements. Chamomile helps stop tremors because it is able to eliminate anxiety and stress. It is also able to calm your nervous system down. You can find chamomile in most grocery stores or in health food stores. There are many ways to use chamomile.
Take chamomile capsules as directed by your doctor or the package.
Make a tea out of chamomile leaves by pouring hot water over them.
Put chamomile essential oil into a bath and soak in it.
Skullcap is full of nervine and sedative properties that may help calm the nerves. It also has scutellarin which is great for calming tense muscles and nerves. Find it in any health food store.
- Boil water and pour it over skullcap in a mug.
- Let it steep and then drink it once it has cooled.
Hand tremors can get in the way of your daily life, no matter the cause. In this article, we provided you with a number of home remedies for hand tremors. What do you use to treat yours? Let us know in the comments section below.