Hiccups, while not life threatening by themselves, can, at best, disrupt the flow of conversation and make it difficult or dangerous to eat or drink, not to mention they can be downright uncomfortable. If you’re looking for a quick fix, check out the list of home remedies for hiccups that we have put together below.
In this article, we will provide 15 home remedies for hiccups. These remedies will each come with instructions that will allow you to carry out the remedy quickly in order to get relief.
It is said that sugar is one way to stop hiccups and, although the reason for this is unknown, it can be speculated. The graininess of sugar is likely to tickle the throat and esophagus. It is said that this action could help to “reset” the phrenic nerves. While there is no proof that this is true, it couldn’t hurt to try. Who doesn’t want to satisfy that secret urge of eating a spoonful of sugar like Mary Poppins said?
- A teaspoon measure
- Measure out a teaspoon or two of sugar.
- Dump the sugar into your mouth.
- Swallow it and wait.
- India Tree Demerara Sugar is a large-grained sugar with a relatively low molasses content--hence its paler color and...
- India Tree Demerara Sugar has subtle caramel undertones - It makes an excellent table and topping sugar.
- The complex undertones of India Tree Demerara Sugar provide subtle accents when baking.
- Bag containing 10-pounds of Domino Sugar
- Premium pure cane
- Extra fine granulated
2. White Vinegar
White Vinegar may be starkly on the other side of the flavor spectrum from sugar, but that doesn’t mean it’s any less effective. It is thought that White Vinegar might distract the senses and its sour taste could stop hiccups right away. White vinegar is a quick and cheap solution to stop those annoying hiccups in their tracks.
- A teaspoon measure
- White Vinegar
- Measure out a teaspoon or two of White Vinegar.
- Drink it and wait.
- Perfect for all seasons!
- Reduced to 5% Acidity
- Trusted by Families Since 1908
- Premium distilled white vinegar for all your recipe needs
- Sourced from sun-ripened corn
- All-Natural Ingredients
3. Peanut Butter
Peanut Butter is another way to distract the body and mind away from the hiccups. By eating peanut butter, you become busy with it. The process of chewing, swallowing and even getting it off of your teeth interrupts the normal breathing and swallowing patterns which can help get rid of those hiccups. Peanut butter is another common household ingredient, so you will only have to walk up to your pantry to find some of the best home remedies for hiccups!
- A teaspoon measure
- Peanut Butter
- Measure out a teaspoon or two of Peanut Butter. You can eat as much as you’d like, but that’s all it should take.
- Eat the peanut butter and drink a glass of water right after.
- ADD MORE PEANUT BUTTER TO YOUR LIFE: 8-pack of 40 oz jars of SKIPPY Natural Creamy Peanut Butter Spread
- SPREAD ON THE SMILES: With SKIPPY Natural Creamy Peanut Butter Spread there is no oily mess or separation, just spread...
- THE GOODNESS OF SKIPPY PEANUT BUTTER: Made with 4 simple ingredients including real roasted peanuts for a gluten-free...
- AMERICA'S FAVORITE* - From a brand that has been trusted for generations, Jif creamy peanut butter is made with simple...
- SPREAD THE LOVE - It's easy to do with our smooth peanut butter! It is smooth textured and easy to spread with no...
- PROTEIN - A perfect option for lunch or snack time, Jif creamy peanut butter sandwich spread has the flavor both kids...
4. Hot Sauce
A classic case of hiccups can only be contested by a classic cure. It’s believed the intense taste of the hot sauce can distract you, make you cough, and most importantly, reset the breathing and swallowing patterns, thus getting you rid of hiccups.
- A teaspoon measure
- Hot Sauce
- Milk (optional)
- Measure out a teaspoon or two of Hot Sauce.
- Swallow the hot sauce and wait.
- If necessary, drink a glass of milk to reduce the burning sensation.
- Cholula Hot Sauce, 5 oz
- The real deal! Award winning, Caribbean style hot sauce, scotch bonnet peppers, Maine made, small batch, mustard based...
- Great with grilling, burgers, tacos, fish, hot dogs, salads, any food!
- All natural and tastes great!
Honey is a good, sweet way to treat hiccups. It begins by coating your throat with a thick, protective layer. Honey can help to tickle the vagus nerve in your throat, thus disrupting the trigger for your hiccups and effectively taking them away. It is also known to fight infections and coughing, so besides being delicious, this trick is also one of the healthiest on this list!
- A teaspoon measure
- Measure out a spoonful of honey.
- Put the Honey into your mouth.
- Swallow it slowly.
- CLOVER HONEY: The clover in our clover honey include white Dutch clover, white blossom clover, and yellow blossom...
- FROM THE EARTH ITSELF: Its quest for the most advanced cultural, aesthetic, design and functional quality into mass...
- EXCELLENT QUALITY: Maven Gifts provides you with only the most durable and well-designed items. You can always rest...
- Certified Organic, Gluten Free, US Grade A, OU Kosher certified and reliably produced without the use of herbicides,...
- Responsibly sourced, thoroughly tested and minimally processed, Nature Nate's organic honey impeccably complements...
- Unlike overly manufactured pasteurized substitutes, raw unfiltered honey contains a greater variety of organic...
6. Powdered Cocoa
While it is delicious, swallowing a big bite of Powdered Cocoa is not an easy task. For this reason, you could swallow some and hopefully disrupt your swallowing pattern; this is the key to getting rid of hiccups. Cocoa powder can be taken from any hot chocolate mix or a drink like Ovaltine.
- A teaspoon measure
- Powdered Cocoa
- Measure out a teaspoon or two of Powdered Cocoa.
- Swallow it and wait for the hiccups to stop. This will take some effort and be a bit uncomfortable because of how dry the cocoa powder is, but it’s one of the most effective home remedies for hiccups.
- GUILT-FREE CHOCOLATE EXPERIENCE - cacao powder offers a rich taste and bold chocolate flavor without the unwanted sugars...
- HIGHLY PRIZED CRIOLLO BEANS - Viva Naturals Cacao Powder is derived from prized Criollo cacao beans, revered as the...
- UPLIFTS MOOD AND ELEVATES ENERGY - add cacao to your favorite cup of java for a morning pick-me-up and an immediate...
- Choco-lot! - LIVfit Superfood Organic Cacao Powder has the great taste of chocolate, but with the added benefits of...
- C is for chocolate - Choose the super-smart way to get your chocolate fix with LIVfit Superfood Organic Cacao Powder....
- Kick cocoa to the curb - Use LIVfit Superfood Organic Cacao Powder instead of ordinary cocoa powder in cookies and...
7. Brown Paper Bag
A Brown Paper Bag could disrupt your breathing patterns, making it an effective choice for taking away hiccups. It works by increasing the levels of carbon dioxide in the blood. It also makes the diaphragm contract in such a way that brings in more oxygen to help stop the spasms. Most people will have a brown paper bag left over from their trips to the grocery store, making this trick virtually free.
- Brown paper bag
- Breathe into the bag. You will want to take slow, deep breaths in order for this to work.
- Stop if you begin to feel light headed.
9. Paper Towel
There is a trick that many swear by called the paper towel method. Paper towels are in most people’s homes, making it a cheap way to get rid of hiccups. It is said to work because you are having to pull harder than normal to drink the water. This counteracts the spasmodic movements that come with hiccups, which makes it one of the most effective home remedies for hiccups.
- Paper towel
- Glass of water
- Place a layer of paper towels over the top of the glass.
- Take a drink through the towel. Drink big gulps if you can.
- Drink them slowly through the towel to help stop the hiccups.
10. Drink Upside Down
Drinking cold water is said to be able to shock the body, effectively stopping hiccups. This is one cure for hiccups that everyone recommends as frequently as they recommend holding your breath. By taking this one step further, you could perhaps stop them sooner. All this takes is a glass of cold water which everyone has at home, making it an effective cure.
- Glass of cold water
- Fill up a glass with cold water.
- Bend over at the waist.
- Put your head down with your crown of your head pointing forward.
- Drink the water from the other side of the glass (opposite to the side you would usually drink from.)
- Repeat this until the hiccups stop.
Sometimes, all it takes to stop hiccups is to relax. This is because you can relax your muscles and stop the spasming. Relaxing costs nothing at all to complete. This is an absolutely free and easy way to get rid of hiccups. Relaxation can be a difficult thing for some people to achieve. For this reason, we have put together a quick step-by-step list on how we recommend that you get relaxed enough to stop hiccups.
- Lie down on a bed on your stomach
- Turn your head
- Let your arms hang over the side
- Take a deep breath
- Hold it in for 10 to 15 seconds
- Exhale the breath slowly
- Repeat this process for a few minutes
- Rest where you lie for a while longer before getting back up
Kissing has been known to stop hiccups. There is no real proof as to why, but if you have someone who is okay with kissing you, give it a shot. Kissing is, of course, free, and most people will have access to a kiss. In order to make what might be the best home remedy for hiccups work, just engage in a passionate kiss with someone.
If you can get help from someone else, you can get pressure applied to make the hiccups stop.
- Stand against a wall and ask someone to press a light fist against the soft portion of your body right under the breastbone. You should take a few breaths.
- During the last breath, exhale completely. The person helping you should press gently on this exhalation in order to get all of the air out of your lungs.
Cardamom is known to help reduce hiccups. This spice may help to relax the muscles in your diaphragm, making it easier for you to breathe normally to end your hiccups. You can get cardamom in most health food stores. It can sometimes be found relatively cheap at a grocery store as well.
- Boil water.
- Drop cardamom into a mug.
- Pour water over the herb.
- Let it steep for 10 minutes.
- Drink it when it’s done.
- 100% Pure Whole Green Cardamom Pods
- Cardamom with shells
- Authentic whole spice
- Freshly ground
- Maximum aroma
- Clean and fresh
Ginger is seen as a catchall for anything really, and that can be said for stomach issues to hiccups and beyond. Ginger is relatively inexpensive to purchase at a store and can quell your hiccups. While you can chew on a piece of fresh ginger, some may not like the taste. For this reason, making fresh ginger tea may be one of the best home remedies for hiccups.
- Fresh ginger
- Bring water to a boil.
- Put ginger into the bottom of a mug.
- Douse the ginger in water.
- Let it sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Drink the tea.
Hiccups are something that no one enjoys having, no matter how harmless they truly are. When you have hiccups, give ginger tea, sugar, white vinegar, or another home remedy mentioned on this list a chance!
Did we forget to mention your favorite home remedies for hiccups? Tell us all about your personal cure in the comments section below.