Jock itch, scientifically referred to as tinea cruris, is a form of ringworm caused by Trichophyton rubrum. It affects sensitive regions of the body such as buttocks, inner thighs, and more intimate areas. Its symptoms include redness in affected areas, itching, burning sensation and flaking skin. Despite the embarrassment and discomfort, jock itch is a temporary problem and responds quite nicely to do-it-yourself treatments. We gathered the most effective home remedies for jock itch you can try.
Vinegar is one of the most widely employed and versatile jock itch home remedies. It has antifungal and antibacterial qualities that can help fight off various skin infections. You can either use white or apple cider vinegar as a home remedy for jock itch. Here’s how:
- Apple cider vinegar for milder cases and white vinegar for advanced cases
- Warm water – optional
- Spray bottle – optional
- Mix one cup of vinegar with 4 cups of water
- Soak a washcloth in the resultant solution, use it to gently wash the affected area, and let it air-dry. Perform the procedure two to three times a day to get rid of the symptoms of jock itch.
- You can also use a spray bottle to apply the solution to the affected area. Let it dry on its own and repeat the procedure several times a day for quick relief.
2. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree essential oil has long been used to treat infections of the mouth, ear infections, cuts and abrasions, boils, and even severe fungal infections. Its anti-fungal and antiseptic properties make it an effective home remedy for jock itch, along with other types of skin infections. The oil’s deep cleansing quality provides immense relief from the irritations and inflammation that come with jock itch.
- In a bowl, mix three to four drops of tea tree oil with one-ounce olive oil.
- Soak the cotton ball in the solution and apply it directly to the affected area twice daily until the symptoms disappear.
- Alternatively, fill your bathtub with warm water then add three drops of tea tree oil to it. Soak in the mixture for about 15 minutes. Repeat this remedy daily to treat jock itch.
Garlic is among the well-known home remedies for jock itch. It has anti-fungal properties that can help cure jock itch and can help relieve itchiness and pain brought about by the infection.
- Garlic cloves
- Olive oil – optional
- Skin the garlic cloves and crush them to make a paste.
- Apply it to the affected area and let it sit for about fifteen minutes.
- Finally, wash the paste off with warm water and pat the area with a dry towel. Repeat the process thrice a day for quick relief.
Alternatively, you can use garlic for jock itch together with olive oil (suitable for anyone with sensitive skin). In this remedy, olive oil creates a protective barrier on the skin surface while garlic kills the jock itch fungus. Here are the steps:
- Fry a few cloves of garlic in olive oil for about ten minutes and let it cool down.
- Apply it directly to the affected area.
- After two hours, wash the area with warm water and let it dry slowly. Do this two to three times a day to get rid of jock itch.
Garlic is also featured on our list of the best home remedies for ringworm, a fungus related to the one causing jock itch.
Listerine is one of the most effective home remedies for jock itch and athlete’s foot due to its antifungal, antiseptic and antibacterial properties. These qualities play a crucial role in eliminating the fungi and bacteria that cause jock itch.
- Listerine mouthwash
- Clean cotton balls
Warning: If you have open wounds on the affected area, refrain from using Listerine.
- Soak a cotton ball in Listerine, squeeze out the excess solution, and use it to gently wipe the infected area and surrounding skin.
- Leave it for approximately 20 minutes or until it dries completely. Repeat this twice or thrice a day until the symptoms of jock itch disappear.
5. Salt Bath
Salt is known for having plenty of healing properties, preventing the spread of jock itch to other parts of the body, and getting rid of it completely.
- One cup of bath salt (preferably Epsom salt)
- Warm water
- Fill the bathtub with water, add one cup of salt to it, and stir gently to dissolve the salt completely.
- Soak in the salt water for about 30 minutes, then wash off with water. Repeat this home remedy for jock itch at least twice a day to get rid of the condition.
Alcohol also features on this list as one of the most effective home remedies for jock itch. As a drying agent, alcohol will dry the affected area making it less hospitable for the fungus causing the infection.
- Alcohol with high isopropyl content
- Cotton ball
- Dip the cotton ball in the alcohol, squeeze out the excess solution, and pat the cotton ball on the affected skin.
- Let it dry on its own and repeat this process a few times a day.
7. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is among the best home remedies for jock itch. This wonder plant has antibacterial, antiseptic, antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties. With these properties, you are sure that it will penetrate deeply into your skin to reduce the discomfort associated with jock itch.
- Fresh aloe leaf or pure aloe vera gel
- Extract the aloe vera gel from the leaf, then apply it directly on the affected area.
- Let it sit there for some time before washing off. Do this thrice a day until the jock itch symptoms subside. Do the same with a store-bought aloe vera gel.
Onions are rich in quercetin, a strong antioxidant that has been shown to fight a range of conditions and infections. The vegetable also has antibiotic, anti-inflammatory and antifungal properties that make it one of the effective home remedies for jock itch.
- One onion or onion oil
- Peel the onion and grind it to make a thick paste, apply it on the infected area, and leave it for about 30 minutes. The same waiting time applies for onion oil or just onion juice.
- Wash off the area with lukewarm water and pat it dry with a soft towel. Do this once or twice a day until the symptoms subside.
9. Coconut Oil
This tropical trooper is one of the most powerful jock itch home remedies. Coconut oil has antibacterial properties that will help treat the infection and soothing properties that will give you great relief from the symptoms of jock itch.
- Organic coconut oil
- Cotton balls
- Soak the cotton ball in coconut oil then dab it over the affected skin.
- Let the oil sit on the area until it penetrates the skin completely or for as long as you can before washing it off with warm water.
10. Oatmeal Bath
Oatmeal has long been used in skincare due to its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. The cereal is also used to treat a range of skin disorders like poison ivy rash, eczema, and sunburns. These qualities make it one of the ideal jock itch remedies that effectively relieve the symptoms that come with the condition.
- Warm water
- Oatmeal powder
- Fill the bathtub with lukewarm water, then add two cups of oatmeal powder and gently mix the powder with water to break apart any clusters of oatmeal.
- Soak in the tub for half an hour and massage the affected area with the mixture while in the bathtub. Repeat this every night for quick relief.
This is among the easiest home remedies for jock itch that you should consider when suffering from the condition.
Honey has a long history of medicinal use: the ancient Romans, Greeks, and Egyptians used it as an embalming fluid as well as in treating wounds and burns. Today, many people are using honey to eliminate a range of conditions thanks to its antibacterial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties which make it one of the best jock itch home remedies on this list.
- Apply the pure honey on the affected area and leave it for a half an hour.
- Wash it off, then pat dry the area with a soft towel. Repeat this at least twice a day until the infection clears.
12. Jasmine Essential Oil
Jasmine oil is another remedy that has a long-held reputation in the skin care industry. The essential oil has powerful antiseptic and disinfectant properties that make it very effective in treating skin conditions like psoriasis, eczema, jock itch and dermatitis among others. You can also combine it with a carrier oil that has antifungal and cleansing effects like coconut oil.
Warning: Jasmine essential oil is among the home remedies for jock itch that might cause irritation in some individuals. It is, therefore, important to perform a spot test before applying.
- Create a solution of jasmine oil and orange or coconut oil in equal parts and mix it thoroughly
- Apply the solution to the affected area and keep in mind this is one of the jock itch home remedies that should be left overnight for best results.
- Rinse it off the next morning and pat the area dry with a clean towel. Repeat the process at least twice daily to get relief.
Although jock itch is difficult to deal with, you won’t have to do so for long if you use one of these home remedies for jock itch. These can ease the burning and discomfort on the spot or in just minutes, are inexpensive, and widely available. The best in our opinion is coconut oil since it doesn’t need rinsing off and works great, especially when combined with jasmine oil. Do you know other cures that work against jock itch?