Canine Parvovirus is a highly contagious viral disease that is common in dogs and spreads through fecal matter. If your pet comes into contact with contaminated feces and doesn’t receive a proper cleaning, the chances to catch the disease are high. Parvo can be deadly particularly in unvaccinated puppies and can manifest itself in two ways: the rare form that attacks the heart muscles and can lead to death in young puppies, or the intestinal form which is the most common. A dog with CPV will suffer from diarrhea, poor appetite, weight loss, and vomiting. Here are some effective home remedies for parvo that provide relief to your pet as soon as signs show up.
Please keep in mind these should not be used as standalone treatments – you should use these on top of vet-recommended treatments to speed up healing and alleviate some of the symptoms!
1. Chamomile Tea
Chamomile tea is one of the top home remedies for parvo in puppies because it treats diarrhea. Dehydration is a huge concern for an animal that constantly vomits and has diarrhea. With chamomile tea, you can fix that while helping your pet sleep better. Besides its carminative properties, chamomile is great for relieving stress and anxiety.
- 2 bags of chamomile tea.
- A cup of water.
Boil the water and pour into a cup, then add the tea bags and give the brew a few minutes to steep. Let it cool then feed it to your pet gradually; you can start with 1ml every half hour and increase the dosage with time. Your dog may vomit after drinking the chamomile tea the first time, but this is normal, so continue with this parvo home treatment.
- Chamomile is appreciated by many for its comforting, soothing taste and delicate aroma. Since it is naturally caffeine...
- For the perfect cup we recommend that you use one tea bag. Add freshly boiled water and infuse for 3-4 minutes. Our Pure...
- Ideal for bedtime to help with sleep
- SOOTHING CHAMOMILE: Stash's Organic Chamomile brews a beautiful golden cup with a delicate, classic apple-like flavor...
- 100 COUNT BOX: Individually packaged bags guarantee every cup will taste as fresh as the day it was bagged, whether...
- PREMIUM BAGGED TEA: All our teas, herbal, black, green, white or oolong, are of the highest quality. For delicious...
2. Colloidal Silver
Colloidal silver has numerous healing properties that make it one of the best home remedies for parvo. It has antimicrobial effects, which gets rid of bad bacteria that builds up in the intestines and contribute to diarrhea. The antifungal and antiviral traits of this dietary supplement are also excellent at treating numerous diseases, including canine parvovirus.
- A tablespoon of colloidal silver.
- A cup of water or other liquid.
Dissolve the supplement in water or any other liquid that you are using for rehydration and use a dropper to administer this treatment to your dog. For a puppy, 1 drop 4 times per day should be enough. If he/she is too young, reduce the dosage to ½ a drop. Give a medium-sized dog 2 drops of the solution.
- POWERFUL IMMUNE SUPPORT* FROM THE UNDISPUTED LEADER IN COLLOIDAL SILVER - Sovereign Silver is the premium silver...
- THE RIGHT DOSE, CONCENTRATION, AND PARTICLE SIZE - Our colloidal silver technology is the best and most advanced in the...
- GLASS BOTTLES, NOT PLASTIC - We produce the highest quality product available and we ONLY bottle in glass to afford the...
- EASILY ABSORBED and EXCRETED - Due to its extremely small particle size of 0.8 nanometers, our nano silver is quickly...
- GLASS BOTTLE - Kaiame Naturals uses ONLY amber glass bottles to store our Silver H2O. Most experts recommend storing...
- MADE IN THE USA - Kaiame Naturals uses state of the art equipment to manufacture our colloidal silver, making sure to...
3. Activated Charcoal
Activated charcoal is effective in getting rid of CPV symptoms and in strengthening the body. Vomiting and diarrhea deplete the body of essentials minerals, which an activated charcoal solution replenishes. You can make an electrolyte solution by mixing activated charcoal in water.
- A tablespoon of activated charcoal powder or activated charcoal tablets.
- A 1-liter bottle.
- A cup of water.
Crush the tablets into a fine powder, add it to the bottle, then add a cup of water. Shake the contents vigorously until they blend completely and give your dog a bit at a time. Start with .33 fluid ounces every fifteen minutes. If the puppy starts feeling better after four hours, adjust the dosage to .33 fluid ounces every 30 minutes. Consistency is the trick to getting this natural treatment to work as it takes 7 days for the electrolyte solution to treat parvo.
- Activated charcoal is excellent for digestive cleansing, teeth whitening, face mask.
- It is also effective for absorbing poisons and other toxins ingested accidentally.
- Virgin Activated Charcoal Powder (Derived from selected natural hardwood)
- INTERNAL CLEANSING: Activated Charcoal contains many small chambers and cavities that "capture" or bind-up unwanted...
- HIGH ADSORBENCY: Activated Charcoal has a high potential to absorb toxins throughout the digestive tract.* Supports...
- CERTIFIED POTENCY: Each serving of Nature's Way Activated Charcoal contains 560 mg of charcoal. Our Activated Charcoal...
4. Egg Yolk and Turmeric
Weight loss is one characteristic of the viral disease, hence the need to provide your pet with the nutrients he/she needs to recover. Eggs provide your dog with the much-needed protein supply to help recover from parvo. Besides being an effective parvo home treatment, one study ascertained that the immunoglobulins present in egg yolk are excellent at protecting against CPV. Turmeric has its own healing properties like anti-inflammation and antibacterial, thus its use as one of the parvovirus home remedies.
- 1 egg.
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- Pure honey.
Separate the egg yolk into a bowl, add the turmeric powder, and mix thoroughly. Add honey to sweeten the concoction, then use a syringe or dropper to give your dog about 0.05 of a fluid ounce of the mixture every 6 hours until symptoms begin to subside. You can also make eggs part of the dog’s meal schedule.
- Certified Organic and Easy to Use! This bright yellow powder has a warm aroma and gingery/peppery taste making it an...
- A small pinch of turmeric powder will add a nice orange-yellow hue to salad dressings. Use it to spice vegetables and...
- Healthworks Turmeric Powder is all natural, non-irradiated and certified organic. Turmeric has a known history of...
- Terrasoul Superfoods Organic Turmeric Powder, 16-ounce Pouch
- Certified Organic, Non-GMO, Raw, Earth Kosher, Gluten-Free, Vegan
- Turmeric is a true natural healer rich in dietary fiber, iron, potassium, magnesium and Vitamin B6
- Serving Size - 1 tbsp
- Does Not Contain: Pesticide, herbicide, pollutant.
- Ys Royal Jelly/honey Bee
- Certified Organic, Gluten Free, US Grade A, OU Kosher certified and reliably produced without the use of herbicides,...
- Responsibly sourced, thoroughly tested and minimally processed, Nature Nate's organic honey impeccably complements...
- Unlike overly manufactured pasteurized substitutes, raw unfiltered honey contains a greater variety of organic...
Agrimonia has been used for digestive issues like diarrhea and nausea for ages; it is an extract of a mildly astringent, tonic herb that is also useful as a diuretic. Agrimonia is effective in improving liver and gallbladder functions as well. This herb from the Rosaceae family of plants is another effective home remedy for parvo in puppies. It has anti-inflammatory properties, so it reduces inflammation of the digestive tract by soothing the mucous membranes.
- A tablespoon of dried agrimonia.
- A cup of water.
Mix the dried Agrimonia in the water, stir, and give this to your dog at least twice daily. Agrimonia is also recommended for a puppy with fever, but only try half of the mixture for the first few times.
Herbalists have been using Echinacea for a long time to boost immune functions and for its potent antiviral and antibiotic effects. It is also effective in reducing the inflammation in the digestive tract. Canine parvovirus compromises the immune system of a young puppy very fast, which is why Echinacea make one of the top home remedies for parvo.
- 2 teaspoons of fresh or dried Echinacea.
- 8 oz of water.
Simmer the water on medium heat, add the dried/fresh Echinacea, cover the concoction, and leave it on the flame for 20 minutes. Then, remove it and strain the tea. You can add other herbs like ginger to increase the potency of the tea. You can also add a few drops of honey to sweeten the tea, so it’s not too bitter for your dog. Give this tea to your dog daily for relief against parvo symptoms. Alternatively, add Echinacea capsules to your pet’s food.
- Echinacea purpurea Leaf cut and sifted from 100% Nature, Domestically Harvested
- Rich in antioxidants, polyphenols and minerals,
- Boosts immune system
- Promotes Immune Function*
- Non-GMO verified. All Ingredients Certified Organic. Kosher. Caffeine Free.
- Herbal Supplement. The highest quality, pharmacopoeia grade herbs
The powers of ginger as a healing agent are unquestionable, especially when it comes to digestive issues. Its carminative properties make it one of the top home remedies for parvo. Besides soothing the intestinal tract, it also treats nausea. Adding ginger to fluids when rehydrating the animal can help minimize the symptoms of the disease. Ginger powder is recommended when looking for home remedies for parvo because it has better absorption rates than eating it raw.
- A teaspoon of dried ginger powder or ginger root for tea.
- A cup of water.
Warm the water, add the ginger powder, and stir vigorously.
Alternatively, you can also make ginger tea by boiling a cup of water, adding 1 or 2 teaspoons of ground ginger root, and covering for 10 minutes. Then, remove from the flame and sieve the tea. Feed your parvo-infected dog the solution using a dropper – one or two drops every half hour. If your puppy has started eating on its own, crush fresh ginger and add to its food.
- 1.64 ounces; Glass bottle
- A-grade, peeled and unsulfited organic ginger root with a spicy sweet flavor and aroma
- Certfied Organic; Kosher
- Organic Ginger Root Tea helps support healthy digestion*
- Features high-quality organic ginger root
- Naturally caffeine-free
Recommended read: If you have a pet that gets into trouble often, you might also be interested in our collection of home remedies for mange, the best home remedies for dog’s ear infection, effective remedies against ear mites, and how to get rid of kennel cough with home remedies.
8. Oatmeal & Herbs Emergency Treatment
Oatmeal water is one of the go-to home remedies for parvo for many pet owners because it is excellent for sustenance in a dog with digestive troubles. The high energy content gives dogs the strength to fight off canine parvovirus. Oatmeal water also serves the function of hydrating your pet. This particular home remedy contains herbal ingredients to increase its effectiveness.
- A gallon (8 cups) of water.
- Half a cup of oatmeal.
- Maple syrup.
- 2 teabags of chamomile tea.
- ½ a teaspoon of ginger powder.
- ½ teaspoon of white willow bark.
- 2 tea bags of mint tea.
To make oatmeal & herbs water: boil the water, add the oatmeal, 1/3 cup of maple syrup, and a teaspoon of salt and stir without boiling the mixture. Remove from heat and let it sit for 20 minutes, then strain it and refrigerate the oatmeal for later.
To make the parvo emergency treatment: heat a cup of the oatmeal water without boiling it, then add the mint tea, white willow bark, ginger, and chamomile tea bags. Strain the concoction and feed your dog several times a day. Give only a teaspoon of oatmeal water per serving for a puppy under 3 pounds.
- INCLUDES: 6 canisters of Nature's Path Old Fashioned Oatmeal (18 oz. each canister).
- FRESH, NUTRITIOUS GOODNESS: Nature's Path Oatmeal features whole grain rolled oats and a simple and clean taste that...
- ALWAYS ORGANIC: Certified USDA organic, this delicious oatmeal represents the true values of Nature's Path. This hearty...
- Heart Healthy Whole Grains - Quaker Oats are 100% Whole Grains. Diets rich in whole grain foods and other plant foods...
- Good Source of Fiber - Quaker Oats provide a good source of fiber to support a healthy digestive system. See nutrition...
- Made with 100% Whole Grains
- FLAVOR PROFILE: Our Grade A Amber Color Rich Taste syrup provides a naturally sweet, rich and smooth taste. A pronounced...
- SUSTAINABLY SOURCED: At Butternut Mountain Farm we are committed to giving you 100% pure Vermont maple syrup. The...
- QUALITY STORY: Our pure maple syrup is carefully selected to ensure the product you receive is of the highest quality....
- 100% Pure, all natural, maple syrup
- Grade A - Best flavor and color available. Harvested and made in the USA
- Made from 100% real maple sap. No chemicals, preservatives, artificial flavors, colors, or other additives
- Botanical Name: Salix species
- Country of Origin: Eastern Europe
- Cut: Cut & Sifted, Plant Part: Bark
- 20:1 Concentrated Extract - EASY to use (Scoop, Mix, Drink)
- Highest Grade Source - Potent, Pure & Effective!
- Non-GMO (grown and processed without pesticides or chemicals)
- SEALED-AT-SOURCE: Our Teas Come in Teapacs-the World's First Natural Nitrogen-Flushed Teabags that Seals in the...
- READY-TO-STEEP: Now, Enjoy the Most Delicious Cup of Tea with Absolute Ease. Dip Right in your Cup. Steeping time varies...
- TEA PROFILE: A blend of well-rolled, winter flush green tea with spearmint and peppermint, it's the tea you turn to in...
- Certified Organic: Premium organic tea leaves have been used to make this USDA Certified Organic tea.
- Non-GMO Project Verified: Feel safe knowing that this delicious mint tea contains no GMOs.
- Caffeine Free: Made only with mint leaves and lemon balm, this premium herbal tea contains no caffeine.
9. Vitamin C
Your parvo-infected dog needs all the help possible to fight off the disease, and Vitamin C is one way to do that. Vitamin C enhances an animal’s immune system. You can make quick home remedies for parvo with readily available citrus fruits like oranges. The liquids are also essential in replenishing the bodily fluids lost from diarrhea. Vitamin C is highly advisable to prevent cardiac complications in dogs.
- Lemons or oranges.
- Cup of water.
Squeeze the lemon or orange into a container, then add a cup of water to make a diluted solution and use a dropper to give this to your puppy. Lemon is especially recommended for sensitive stomachs because it has antibacterial properties.
10. White Willow Bark
The bark of white willow is one of the best home remedies for parvo because it has fever-fighting properties. A high fever in your puppy can cause restlessness, especially at night. Although it may be a bit difficult to find, the bark of white willow will help your offer your pet the relief it needs for a good night’s sleep. Think of it as natural aspirin.
- A square inch of white willow bark.
- A cup of water.
Put the bark in a pot, add the water, and boil for 5 minutes. Let it sit for half an hour until it starts turning red, then strain it and give it to your dog. Administer this twice per day for a week until there is an improvement.
Hygiene is the biggest concern when dealing with canine parvovirus because it is highly contagious. For a household with multiple pets, one parvo-infected puppy poses a risk to all the others. Any item in the house that your dog has come into contact with should be cleaned with antiseptic.
- Cleaning detergents.
- Clove oil.
Use the bleach and detergent to wash every fabric, container or surfaces that your pet has come across. Put the clean items in the dryer and set the highest temperature to kill any remaining viruses and germs. Clove oil has great antiseptic qualities and is safe for consumption in small quantities so use it to clean your pet.
- Pack of two 55 ounce bottles of Clorox Splash-less Scented Bleach with caps that are sealed to ensure leak-free delivery...
- Splash-Less Bleach in Clean Linen scent is formulated with new scent technology that masks the aroma of bleach and only...
- Concentrated, Splash-Less formula delivers a more controlled pour resulting in the same powerful clean as regular bleach...
- Price For: Each Color: Clear Item: Laundry Whitener Size: 28 oz. Container Type: Bottle Country of Origin (subject to...
- ESSENTIAL AROMATHERAPY - Clove is warming, soothing and comforting with a warm, pungent scent that promotes balance and...
- NATURAL/RESPONSIBLY MADE - This oil is extracted through steam distillation of clove buds, leaves and stems. Made in...
- 100% PURE/UNDILUTED - Our essential oils are highly concentrated and 100% pure and free of synthetic ingredients,...
- GUARANTEED HIGHEST QUALITY, MOST POTENT CLOVE OIL - What sets Artizen Essential Oils apart are their unparalleled purity...
- DON'T FALL VICTIM TO CHEAP DILUTED CLOVE OIL - Most of the Competition Dilute Their Oil with a Cheap Carrier Oil or Even...
- MOST 4 OUNCE CLOVE OILS CONTAIN LESS THAN 1/3 OF NATURAL OIL - Unfortunately, there's a lot of misrepresentation of the...
12. Coconut Water
Coconut water makes one of the home remedies for parvo because it is a natural electrolyte, meaning it supplies your pet with the minerals it needs to recover like magnesium and potassium. Vitamins B and C, which improve the health of an animal, are also present. Coconut water helps with rehydration as well.
- A cup of coconut water.
Use a syringe or dropper to feed your dog the coconut water slowly to avoid vomiting. Half a cup is sufficient for making one of the most potent home remedies for parvo in dogs (medium-sized) pets.
- TASTE OF THE TROPICS | Not long ago you needed a ladder and a machete to get great-tasting coconut water. Now all you...
- NATURAL HYDRATION | Refreshing and jam-packed with vitamins, nutrients, and ELECTROLYTES (including MORE POTASSIUM than...
- REFRESH YOURSELF | Coconut water is the natural choice for everyday, on-the-go refreshment - DRINK VITA COCO before a...
- Naturally sweet, no sugar added
- Made with Thai young coconut
- No preservatives added. Potassium 400 mg
13. Pepto Bismol
Pepto Bismol is a good emergency treatment for dogs with parvo as it’s generally used to treat digestive conditions such as diarrhea, heartburn, gas, nausea, or aches. Although not recommended as a long-term treatment for dogs with parvo, it’s a great emergency treatment until you get to the vet. This means you should administer a maximum of two doses of Pepto Bismol to your dog or puppy.
- Pepto Bismol.
Give your dog or puppy one teaspoon of Pepto Bismol for every ten pounds of weight. You can administer this treatment every six to eight hours – after one or two doses, the symptoms should subside. However, you should not continue the treatment if they don’t after two doses.
- 5 SYMPTOM Digestive Relief: Nausea, Heartburn, Indigestion, Upset Stomach, Diarrhea
- The #1 Pharmacist Recommended Brand for Upset Stomachs (Based on Pharmacy Times 2017 Survey-upset stomach remedies...
- Power of Pepto in a caplet for portable relief
Canine Parvovirus can be fatal for dogs if not treated in time. In addition, the disease spreads at a very fast rate from one infected dog to others, thus the need for prompt action. Home remedies for parvo can help you get rid of the disease while in its early stages without incurring many costs, not to mention that they are easy to make. Nevertheless, consult the veterinarian if the symptoms persist for more than a few days and no improvements can be seen in your dog’s overall health.