Pinworms are a surprisingly common parasite – up to 40% of young children have them. These small, thread-like white worms live in the intestines and can cause itching around the anus, stomach cramps, and restlessness, although some people with pinworms have no symptoms. While you can go to the doctor for medicine to kill the worms, this can be a costly option, and home remedies for pinworms can work just as well if administered early on.
In the infographic below you can take a quick look at the most common home remedies for pinworms and see their benefits. You will find info on where to get the ingredients and directions o how to prepare the remedies in the detailed descriptions below this infographic.
Garlic is one of the best-known home remedies for pinworms, and for good reason – this herb has many powerful health benefits. Aside from its well-known antifungal and antibacterial properties, garlic is also a potent parasite killer. Garlic works as a home remedy for pinworms because it kills any pinworm eggs in your intestines. Female worms also cannot lay more eggs when you have garlic in your system.
- Fresh garlic cloves
- Vaseline (optional)
One way to kill pinworms with garlic is simply to eat it.
- Eat a raw clove twice a day
- If a plain clove is too strong for you, dice the clove and mix it into another food.
You can also make a topical garlic salve:
- Smash a garlic clove into a paste
- Mix the paste with Vaseline and apply it to the anus
- Vaseline Jelly is the original skin protectant. It has been used to protect, help heal and lock in moisture for dry skin...
- Clinically proven to help heal dry, damaged skin Provides dry skin relief and protects minor cuts
- Made with 100% pure petroleum jelly, purity is guaranteed with a triple-purified formula #1 dermatologist-recommended...
2. Grapefruit Seed Extract
Grapefruit seed extract is a popular home remedy for pinworms and other parasites. Like garlic, this supplement is able to clean your digestive tract with its antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties. In fact, some travelers who visit developing countries, where parasites like pinworms are more common, take grapefruit seed extract to prevent infection during their stay.
- Grapefruit seed extract
- You can buy grapefruit seed extract online or at a good drugstore or health food store.
- Take this supplement three times a day in doses of 3-4 drops in a glass of water.
- Highest concentration of grapefruit seed extract
- Made without Gluten and GMOs
- pH of about 2.2
- Super concentrated Grapefruit liquid extract
- Contains vegetable glycerine (67%) and grapefruit seed extract(33%)
- Helps to protect the body from infection from viral or bacterial sources
3. Coconut oil
Coconut oil is one of the simplest home remedies for pinworms out there – you may have a jar of this healthy oil sitting your pantry already. Besides being full of nutritional goodness, coconut oil kills bacteria and parasites, making it an easy way to treat pinworms naturally at home.
- Pure cold-pressed coconut oil
- Use the best-quality coconut oil you can find to treat pinworms, since low-quality oil may not be as effective.
- Swallow one teaspoon of plain oil in the morning and at night.
- You can also rub coconut oil around the anus to kill eggs and help relieve itching.
- RAW COCONUT OIL: Our unrefined coconut oils are not hydrogenated, bleached, refined, or deodorized
- ORGANIC COCONUT OIL: USDA Certified Organic, Non-GMO Project Verified, RAW, Certified Vegan, Pareve MK Kosher, Gluten...
- EXTRA VIRGIN COCONUT OIL: This pure coconut oil dietary supplement is an excellent source of healthy fat-burning...
- Organic Coconut Oil Extra Virgin Unrefined Cold Pressed Raw Pure
- It has a variety of uses as a skin or body supplement. Apply it as a face cleanser, overnight mask, natural sunscreen,...
- Coconut oil is a strong foundation to any lifestyle and is one of the most versatile and beneficial oils in the world....
You may not know what wormwood is, but you’ve probably heard of absinthe, the famous drink made from this plant. As it turns out, wormwood has many potent antiparasitic properties in its own right. This herb contains several chemical compounds that quickly kill pinworms, roundworms, and other unwelcome visitors.
- Dried wormwood powder
- Boiling water
The best way to consume wormwood is as a tea.
- Steep 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of the powder in one cup of boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Sip the tea slowly throughout the day to get the most benefits from it.
- Organic Wormwood Herb Powder, aka Sweet Annie, and Artemisia. This herb is powdered for easy handling. It is great for...
- Artemisia herb is discussed in the book Healing Lyme, by Stephen Buhner.
- Dual testing is done by independent laboratories in the United States and the factory's in-house laboratories in China....
- Best Botanicals
- Health and Beauty
5. White Willow Bark
White willow bark contains a chemical that works like aspirin, which may be able to kill parasites like pinworms. If you’re interested in using this remedy for pinworms, do your research first. Most people can take white willow bark safely, but if you’re allergic to aspirin or taking any blood thinners, you should avoid this remedy and try a different one instead.
- White willow bark
- Boiling water
- Boil one to two cups of water in a saucepan.
- When the water comes to a boil, add two to four teaspoons of bark and let the mixture boil for another five minutes.
- Turn off the heat and allow the tea to cool before straining and drinking it.
- Health and Beauty
- White Willow Bark : Natural Pain Reliever : White Willow Bark comes from a variety of trees, including the willow tree,...
- You should add 1 to 2 teaspoons of white willow bark, depending on how strong you like your tea, to 8 ounces of water....
- 100% PURE - We never add preservatives or fillers to our spices : 100% SATISFACTION - All Burma Spice products come with...
6. Pumpkin Seeds
Raw pumpkin seeds are one of the most effective home remedies for pinworms because they contain a chemical compound that paralyzes the worms, allowing your body to get rid of them. Pumpkin seeds are used as a traditional home remedy for parasites in Germany.
- Raw pumpkin seeds
- Coconut milk (optional)
- Water (optional)
The simplest version of this remedy is to just eat raw, whole pumpkin seeds.
- Try to consume at least 1 ounce every day.
For more impact, you can also follow this recipe:
- Blend one cup of seeds into a paste with 1/2 cup of coconut milk and 1/2 cup of water.
- Eat this mixture for breakfast.
- Pumpkin Seeds are loaded with the amino acid tryptophan, which aids in the production of serotonin in the brain.
- Pumpkin Seeds contains zinc and other antioxidants to reduce the risk of prostate disease.
- Pumpkin Seeds have a high content of phytosterols, plant-based compounds that can reduce LDL "bad" cholesterol levels.
- Buy Premium Quality Pumpkin Seeds only from Food to Live and SOLD by Food to Live. BEWARE of imitations - we believe in...
- Whole Seeds, Unsalted, Shelled.
- Delicious & Healthy.
- Pack of twelve, 13.5 ounces each (total of 162 ounces). Gluten free
- Imparts rich and creamy goodness to wonderful regional dishes
- A staple of Thai, Indian and Caribbean cuisines
- Organic coconut milk is made from the first pressing of prime organic coconut meat
- USDA-certified organic
- Premium quality natural coconut milk is non-GMO certified, non-dairy, gluten-free and contains no preservatives
7. High-fiber foods
High-fiber foods, like whole grains and vegetables, are a good natural remedy for pinworms because they help your body excrete the worms more easily. This remedy works particularly well in combination with other home remedies for pinworms.
- High-fiber foods, such as carrots, leafy greens, and oatmeal
- Fiber supplements (optional)
Eat something high in fiber at every meal. One good method of increasing your fiber intake is to eat one or two grated carrots every morning and evening. If you’re worried about not getting enough fiber in your diet, you can also start taking a fiber supplement to help get rid of the worms.
- Take Metamucil everyday and Feel What Lighter Feels Like
- Traps and removes the waste that weighs you down*
- Helps maintain healthy blood sugar levels*
- VEGAN FIBER: Our RAW fiber contains 9g of fiber per serving (36% DV) along with 7 grams of protein, probiotics, and...
- SUPERFOOD FIBER: RAW fiber is made with 15 RAW organic superfoods, including sprouted seeds, grains and legumes
- CONSTIPATION RELIEF: Supports gut health, regular bowel function, cardiovascular function, and overall health
Onions are related to garlic, and they share many of garlic’s health properties. Due to their high sulfur content, onions are very effective at killing pinworms and other parasites.
- One or two onions
- Warm water
- Peel the onions and cut them up.
- Soak them in warm water for at least 8 hours.
- Drink the onion water several times a day to kill pinworms.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is one of the best long-term home remedies for getting rid of pinworms. While it won’t kill the worms immediately, if you consume enough apple cider vinegar over time, it will improve your gut health, making it harder and harder for the worms to survive. For this reason, it’s a good idea to continue taking apple cider vinegar daily, even after you’ve gotten rid of the worms – the vinegar will prevent them from coming back.
- Apple cider vinegar
Don’t ever drink apple cider vinegar on its own – it’s highly acidic and could damage your stomach lining and the enamel on your teeth. Instead, use this recipe:
- Mix two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar into a glass of water.
- Drink this mixture twice a day.
- Note: It’s a good idea to combine this method of killing pinworms with at least one more of the home remedies for pinworms on this list.
- Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar USDA Organic - Plastic Bottle
- Certified Organic Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar is unfiltered, unheated, unpasteurized and 5% acidity, and...
- Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar is organically grown, processed and bottled in accordance with the California Organic Foods...
- MOTHER KNOWS BEST - Made from certified organic, USA-grown apples, our premium, unfiltered apple cider vinegar (ACV) has...
- AS HARDWORKING AS YOU ARE - Whether as a tangy salad dressing swap-in, quick digestive tonic, natural household cleaner...
- SIMPLY MADE - To make sure you get fresh flavor and rich color, our non-GMO ACV is fermented from fresh apple juice (not...
10. Diatomaceous earth
Diatomaceous earth isn’t one of the best-known home remedies for pinworms, but it is one of the most effective. Diatomaceous earth is a chalk-like, powdery substance made of fossilized algae. It kills pinworms slowly over time by dehydrating them.
- Food-grade diatomaceous earth
- Water (optional)
- Soft foods such as applesauce or smoothies (optional)
When you buy diatomaceous earth online or at a health food store, make sure it is clearly labeled as food-grade. There are several types of diatomaceous earth available for household use, but only food-grade diatomaceous earth is safe to consume.
- Mix one tablespoon into a glass of water, a smoothie, or another type of soft food.
- Be careful not to inhale the diatomaceous earth, since it could damage your lungs.
- DIATOMACEOUS EARTH YOU CAN TRUST - Our obsession to create the purest food grade diatomaceous earth affects every aspect...
- THE ONLY OFFICIAL SUPPLEMENT - We are the only producers of food grade diatomaceous earth products that meet all...
- 100% ORGANIC - All of our products are certified organic by the Organic Minerals Review Institute
- Natural product - composed of 10lbs of 100% ground freshwater diatomaceous earth with absolutely no additives or...
- Omri listed - listed with the organic minerals research Institute, a non-profit organization that reviews products...
- Powder duster included - powder duster in the bag for easy and efficient application of diatomaceous earth on animal...
11. Castor oil
Of all the natural remedies for pinworms available, castor oil is one of the best. Castor oil has anti-microbial and anti-parasitic properties, meaning it kills pinworms effectively. Even better, castor oil has a laxative effect, meaning that it flushes the worms out of your body quickly.
- Castor oil
- Swallow one teaspoon of castor oil once a day to expel pinworms from your system more quickly.
- PREMIUM GRADE: 100% Pure Cold Pressed Castor Oil. Hexane-Free Extraction. Only the best Castor seeds hand-picked and...
- ALL-IN-ONE SKIN CARE: Get ready for your skin and face to instantly fall in love with your new blemish free and healthy...
- ULTIMATE HAIR CARE: Enjoy having young healthy gorgeous thicker hair once again. Your kinky curly hair will feel softer...
- 100% PURE AND ORGANIC: Manufactured with high quality cold pressed castor oil, this eyelash serum is entirely safe for...
- NOT JUST FOR YOUR LASHES: Discover the multipurpose role of castor oil by using it not just on your lashes but also on...
- ALL NATURAL AND ORGANIC: Containing zero chemicals, preservatives or additives, our organic old - pressed castor oil is...
12. Cloves and Flaxseeds
A combination of cloves and flaxseeds is one of the more unusual but effective home remedies for pinworms. For best effect, the cloves and flaxseeds should be crushed into powder and mixed together.
- Ground cloves
- Ground flaxseeds
Mix together one part ground cloves to ten parts ground flaxseeds. Add this mixture to your food whenever you can. It’s easiest to add the mixture to soft foods like smoothies and oatmeal.
- 2.82 ounces; Glass bottle
- Organic Sri Lankan cloves with a high oil content for intensely deep aroma and flavor
- Certfied Organic; Kosher
- Highest Quality Ground Cloves Powder
- One pound (16 Oz) bulk bag Its Delish brand
- Heaven scent! Rich flavor and deep aroma will last for years!
- RICH IN NUTRIENTS Our ground organic flax seeds treat you to the benefits of flax seed lignans, flax seed fiber and all...
- USDA CERTIFIED When we call our flax seeds organic, we mean it. Our organic raw flax seeds are fully certified by the...
- SO MANY WAYS TO BENEFIT Mix our ground flaxseed into smoothies, bake with it and use it as a topping for yogurt or...
- Certified Organic, high in fiber and absolutely delicious! This nutty tasting seed can be enjoyed by mixing it into...
- The Nutrients You Want! Flaxseeds are packed with omega-3 essential fatty acids, SDG lignans, protein, iron, magnesium...
- Healthworks Flaxseeds have been cold milled and ground for easy digestion and maximum nutrient absorption. Flaxseeds are...
Pineapples are one of the richest natural sources of bromelain, an enzyme with effective antibacterial properties. This enzyme works against pinworms by breaking down their outer membrane and their eggs.
- Optional: bromelain supplements
Eat or drink the juice of at least one pineapple per day to get rid of pinworms naturally. Alternatively, you can also try out some bromelain natural supplements.
- Bromelain 500mg/2400gdu 120 vcaps by now foods
- NOWSUPPVitamin-Digestive Support- 120VCAPS
- Now foods product upc : 733739029478
- ABSOLUTE PURITY - ZERO SYNTHETIC ADDITIVES, FILLERS, HEAVY METALS, ADULTERANTS - You will never see unneccessary...
- UNQUESTIONABLE QUALITY - ALL PRODUCTS PRODUCED IN 3rd PARTY CERTIFIED NSF CERTIFIED FACILITIES - All dietary supplement...
- MULTIPLE HEALTH BENEFITS - Our non-synthetic Bromelain offers several health benefits, such as promoting joint comfort,...
14. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has antibacterial and antifungal properties that work great in fighting parasites like pinworms. Given pure tea tree oil is highly concentrated and can irritate sensitive skin, it’s recommended to dilute it with a carrier oil. We recommend coconut oil as it’s another effective home remedy for pinworms.
- Coconut oil
- Tea tree essential oil
Add 1-3 drops of tea tree essential oil in 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and mix well until incorporated. Apply this mix every night for at least a week to completely get rid of pinworms. After 2-3 days, you can add another drop of tea tree oil to the mix if you did not notice any sign of irritation so far.
- The most UNIQUE and AMAZING SMELLING Tea Tree on the market, in our opinion. If you are not ABSOLUTELY amazed, receive a...
- SUPERIOR EXPERIENCE: If you are just trying our Tea Tree for the first time and you do not switch to it permanently as...
- PURE + RIGOROUS QUALITY TESTING & CONTROLS: Distillation facility is GMP, ISO 9001 and Kosher certified, FDA Registered....
- HIGHEST QUALITY PURE TEA TREE OIL - Each batch is rigorously tested for purity and potency to ensure you are receiving...
- NATURALLY FRESH - Safe and effective all-purpose essential oil ideal for DIY home use as a natural cleaner, aromatherapy...
- PROMOTES SCALP HEALTH - Tee Tree Oil may also help reduce appearance of lice, dandruff and flakes
15. Bitter Gourd
Bitter gourd contains cucurbitacin which is known for its anthelmintic properties which paralyze the pinworms. In addition, it also contains Vitamins B and C, folate, magnesium, zinc, phosphorus, and fibers which strengthen your body and immune system. However, bitter gourd is not the go-to home remedy for pinworms because of its strong bitter taste.
- Bitter gourds – it’s recommended to choose smaller, unripe ones for the best effects.
Extract the juice from two bitter gourds and drink daily for at least one week. Be careful not to surpass this daily dose as this can lead to diarrhea and stomach aches.
Nobody likes to think about pinworms, but they’re an unfortunate fact of life. Luckily, home remedies for getting rid of pinworms are effective and don’t involve any expensive or time-consuming trips to the doctor. These 12 home remedies can help you and your family live a healthy, parasite-free life naturally. Do you have a favorite home remedy for pinworms?