In this article, we will provide you with a list of home remedies for sebaceous cyst. A sebaceous cyst is a small protrusion on the skin. These are usually painless and are non-cancerous. They may vary in size between .25 inches to 2 inches in size. They can be found in many spots on the body, including the neck, armpit, groin area and more. A home remedy for a sebaceous cyst is a cost-effective way to get rid of them. If your cyst is not very large, you may not even have to go to a doctor. However, if the cyst does not go away in a couple of weeks, we recommend you seek a specialist for advice.
Sebaceous cysts are often associated with acne, though not always. However, if you are also facing acne issues, we recommend our home remedies for cystic acne as well!
1. Tea bags
Black tea is known to be able to provide anti-inflammatory properties. This is great as it can remove the swelling and pain of the sebaceous cyst. It is an easy solution to use and can be found in nearly every grocery store. This solution is cheap as tea costs virtually nothing.
- Soak a black tea bag in some milk or water.
- Press it over the cyst.
- Keep it there overnight by wrapping it in an elastic bandage.
- Remove the tea bag and the bandage in the morning.
- Repeat these steps until the cyst has cleared up.
2. Apple cider vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar is another low cost, easy-to-access home remedy for a cyst. This type of vinegar has something inside of it called acetic acid. This sort of acid is good at killing a bacterial infection. It can also treat a cyst at home.
- Apply apple cider vinegar directly to the cyst.
- Cover the cyst with a bandage.
- Change the bandage every day and reapply the apple cider vinegar, then the bandage.
- Do this every day for a week.
- When a hard layer appears over the cyst, remove the layer. This will drain out the contents of the cyst.
3. Castor oil
Castor oil is something that is found in most pharmacies, or the pharmacy section of a grocery store. This sort of oil is ideal for treating a sebaceous cyst in a cost-effective way. It has been known to shrink the cyst down to nothing.
- Castor oil
- Cotton swab
- Bag of hot water
- Dip a cotton swab into castor oil.
- Put it directly over the cyst.
- Place the bag of hot water on top of the cyst. The heat from the hot water will help the castor oil decrease the cysts
- Castor oil
- Baking soda
- You can mix baking soda and castor oil to make a paste and apply it to the cyst.
Honey is one of the most readily available home remedies for sebaceous cyst. You can find honey at any grocery store nearby. Honey is an organic product that provides a number of benefits, including serving as an antibacterial.
- Mix three tablespoons of honey into one tablespoon of cinnamon powder.
- With the paste made, apply it directly to the cyst. The cinnamon has medicinal properties as does the honey; both will work together to help reduce the size of the cyst.
- Egg white
- Mix an egg white with honey and apply it onto the area with the cyst.
Turmeric is used for a number of different things. One of them is healing cysts. You can find turmeric at any grocery store for a reasonable price since it is a spice. This is one of the most cost effective ways to treat a sebaceous cyst at home. You can also use turmeric to make a pain reliever that will get rid of swelling and inflammation of the cyst.
- 1 cup of water
- Boil water with .5 tablespoon of turmeric.
- Let the boiled mixture cool.
- Once it is cool, drink the mixture every night.
- Repeat this for a minimum of 10 days. You can also do this until the cyst clears up.
6. Potassium iodide
Potassium iodide might be a little bit harder to find; It can usually be located in a pharmacy or in the pharmacy section of a grocery store. This is great at reducing a cyst; in fact, it is one of the swiftest ways for you to take care of a cyst at home. This is because it has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, disinfectant and antiseptic properties.
- Potassium iodide
- Cotton swab
- Dip cotton swab into the potassium iodide.
- Apply the potassium dioxide directly to the cyst.
- Repeat these steps until the sebaceous cyst has completely vanished.
Cabbage is a neutralizing agent that can help reduce the inflammation around the cyst. By reducing the inflammation, you will be able to enjoy a less painful experience while the cyst is healing. Cabbage can be found at any grocery store for a relatively low price; this makes this home remedy available to virtually everyone.
- Boil some water on the stove.
- Insert the cabbage leaves.
- Let the boiled mixture cool off for a while.
- Once it is cool, apply the water and the cabbage leaves to the cyst.
- Cover the ingredients with a clean, dry washcloth.
- Repeat these steps every day until it clears up.
8. Bee pollen
Bee pollen offers a number of different benefits to the body. In terms of a sebaceous cyst, it can help by fixing skin problems because it is a blood purifier, making it ideal for those with a cyst. You can usually find fresh bee pollen at a farmer’s market. You can also usually get it at a health food store.
- Eat one or two tablespoons of bee pollen. You can also take a pill that has bee pollen in it by following the directions on the packaging.
- Drink down the bee pollen with a full glass of water
9. Clay tablet
Clay is one of the best things you can have if you want to remove impurities of the body. It has natural detoxing effects that can sap out any toxins. When there are toxins in the body, they are usually going to manifest themselves in the skin. A clay tablet, which is moderately inexpensive, can be found at a pharmacy.
- Clay tablets
- Glass of water
- Take a clay tablet as directed by the instructions on the package of the clay tablets.
- Drink the tablet down with an entire glass of water to ensure its consumption and that it does not irritate the stomach.
- Repeat as needed.
10. Warm compress or a heating pad
Hot water and compresses are one of the most common ways for you to treat a sebaceous cyst at home. Since water is something you can find in the tap, this treatment is virtually free. You can also use a heating pad.
- Hot water and a piece of cloth
- Heating pad
- Make a hot compress using a piece of cloth and hot water. You can also warm up a heating pad.
- Press the hot compress to the area of the cyst.
- Let it sit for around 15 to 20 minutes. Perform this twice a day until it heals.
11. Baking soda
Baking soda is one of the greatest neutralizing agents around. Baking soda is able to maintain the natural, healthy pH balance of the skin. It is therefore one of the best remedies for sebaceous cysts around. This is because it can keep bacterial growth under control. This means that it can help stop the burning and itching sensations around the cyst as well.
- Mix up baking soda, salt and water in such amounts to where it forms a smooth paste.
- Spread out this paste onto the cyst.
- Cover it with a bandage for a few hours.
- Rinse and repeat until the cyst is gone.
Potatoes are full of vitamin C that is one of the best vitamins for removing dead, unnecessary skin cells. By removing these skin cells, sebaceous cysts can naturally be healed. Potatoes can be found at any grocery store, making this home remedy for sebaceous cysts easy for anyone to access. They are also relatively cheap.
- Elastic bandage
- Slice up thin slices of the potato.
- Place the potato slice over the area that has the cyst.
- Cover it with a bandage.
- Leave the potato on overnight.
- Do this until the cyst heals and reduces in size.
13. Rose water and sandalwood
Rose water and sandalwood both offer a number of benefits to those who use it. Among these benefits are antifungal properties. These antifungal properties can speed up the healing of your cyst. These two ingredients are usually able to be found at a health food store. They come at a moderately inexpensive price point.
- Combine equal parts rose water and sandalwood.
- Spread the oil over the cyst.
- Once it has been absorbed in the skin, rinse off the excess with cold water.
- Be sure to complete these steps two to three times a day until the cyst goes down.
14. Epsom salt
Epsom salt is another item that helps neutralize and heal a cyst. This is because epsom salt is easily able to restore the balance of the pH levels of the skin. It can also help you to get rid of the pain and swelling. Epsom salt is cheap and available at most stores.
- Epsom salt
- Bathe in a mixture of warm water and epsom salt, about half a cup for every tub full.
- Sit in the tub until the water turns cold.
- Epsom salt
- You can also make a small mixture of hot water and epsom salt and apply it to the skin in generous amounts a few times a day.
15. Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil is a catchall for a lot of issues and ailments. It is primarily an antibacterial, antifungal and anti-inflammatory, all of which are great for helping to heal a sebaceous cyst. It is readily available in most grocery stores and in almost all pharmacies. It costs very little to purchase some of this oil.
- Mix tea tree oil into a carrier oil.
- Apply it directly to the cyst.
- Tea tree oil
- Elastic bandage
- Apply two or three drops of pure tea tree oil to the cyst and then cover it up with a bandage.
In this article, we have provided you with a list of home remedies for sebaceous cyst. We have also provided you with a step-by-step list on how to get rid of them using the ingredients listed.
Have you ever used one of these home remedies for sebaceous cyst? What about your own special tried and true remedy for sebaceous cysts? We want to know about them. Let us know about your experiences and remedies in the comments section found below.