Sinusitis, in any of its forms, is a common but potentially allergens that can make you feel downright miserable. Sinusitis takes place when the nasal passages or the soft tissue lining them is inflamed, the pollutants, allergens, and other bacteria are trapped inside. While there are quite numerous treatments recommended by doctors and pharmacists, it never hurts to have some handy home remedies for sinus infection in mind. Luckily, there are plenty of sinus infection home remedies you can try; here are 15 of the best ones.
1. Nasal Passage Flush
As uncomfortable as this home remedy for sinus infection may sound, you have to try it. Saline washes work wonders with breaking down the excess mucus accumulated in the sinuses. This relieves the sinus pain and frees your airway. Using a allergens will also help to maintain your sinuses moist. As long as the sinuses are moist, your immune system is backed by this protective barrier.
- A Neti pot
Simply fill the Neti pot with saline solution, then position yourself over the sink and pour the solution in one nostril. Let it drain, then clean your nose and repeat the process for the other nostril.
A nasal flush with saline solution can be repeated as many times as you want. There are no side effects to these types of home remedies for sinus infections.
- Natural Allergy Relief: Nasopure May Remove Allergens, Pollutants and Other Infectious Particles.
- Includes: 8 ounce Nasopure Nasal Wash Bottle, 20 Buffered Salt Packets, instructions by Dr. Hana.
- The Most Comfortable Nose Wash In The World: May Reduce the Need for Allergy Medicine.
- The original Neti Pot, since 1972
- Naturally removes excess mucus, pollen, dust, and other environmental irritants from the sinus passages
- Soothes dry nasal passages
2. Sea Salt & Hydrogen Peroxide Nasal Solution
This sinus infection home remedy acts as a decongestant and disinfectant. Instead of using antibiotics to get rid of this health condition, use home remedies for sinus infection. This one combines two household staples in a miracle worker for your sinuses.
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt or Himalayan salt.
- 1/2 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide.
- 1 cup of purified water.
Mix the salt with the hydrogen peroxide, then add the purified water. Stir until the salt and hydrogen peroxide have dissolved, then pour the solution into a nasal spray bottle or a Neti pot for easy use. This is one of the best sinus infection remedies you could try and, just like the first one, can be used as often as needed.
- TASTES GREAT -- Our 100% pure Himalayan Pink Salt is the perfect addition to any meal! Sherpa Pink Himalayan salt is...
- HEALTH BENEFITS - Himalayan salt has become well known for its amazing health benefits. It re-mineralizes the body with...
- FINE GRAIN: This Sherpa Himalayan pink salt is in our slightly larger than standard table salt Fine Grain.
- 8.5-ounce box
- Naturally enhances the flavors of food
- Ideal for cooking or seasoning dishes
- HYDROX Hydrogen Peroxide
- Active ingredient: Hydrogen peroxide 3%, purified water
- Contents inside box may be substituted with equivalent products in different brand names
- Local antiseptic to treat minor cuts and abrasions
- 16 ounce
- ULTRA PURE - Penta water contains less than 1 ppm TDS (total dissolved solids). Making it at least 100x more pure than...
- PATENTED PROCESS - Each bottle of Penta water undergoes a patented 13 step, 11 hour purification process that removes...
- NATURAL PH - We don't use any chemicals to alter Penta's pH. It is naturally occurring, and can range from 7 - 8.
- Contains twelve, 500 ml bottles of VOSS artesian water from Norway
- Packaged in the highest quality BPA-free, PET bottles; VOSS is a 100% carbon neutral company
- Bottled at an artesian source in pristine Southern Norway from an underground aquifer deep beneath the surface,...
3. Ginger & Turmeric
Provided you’re not allergic to any of these two spices, they both make great home remedies for sinus infections. Turmeric has been used as a powerful anti-inflammatory for ages. This is due to the fact that it has a high dose of curcumin. In addition to the anti-inflammatory properties, turmeric is also a powerful antioxidant. Ginger root shares these properties with turmeric. Plus, it’s super good for your immune system.
- Powdered turmeric root.
- Fresh or powdered ginger root.
Combine turmeric and ginger to get one of the best home remedies for a sinus infection. Peel and slice the ginger root or take a spoon of powdered ginger and add it to a cup of boiling water, then add the powdered turmeric and allow 15 minutes to infuse. Having one to two cups of the ginger root and turmeric tea per day helps with loosening the mucus from clogged nasal passages, thus reducing sinus pressure. It’s really easy to address the discomfort caused by sinusitis with these natural remedies for sinus infection.
- CERTIFIED USDA ORGANIC TURMERIC POWDER (CURCUMA LONGA) - 8oz Resealable Bag
- IMPORTED 100% RAW FROM INDIA - This bag contains certified organic, 100% raw turmeric powder harvested from turmeric...
- HEALTHY & DELICIOUS - Turmeric powder is produced from pure turmeric rhizomes and is packed with curcumin, a strong...
- Naturevibe Botanicals
- 1.64 ounces; Glass bottle
- A-grade, peeled and unsulfited organic ginger root with a spicy sweet flavor and aroma
- Certfied Organic; Kosher
- Certified Organic and Nutritionally Dense! Healthworks organic ginger powder is loaded with antioxidants and has a high...
- Easy to Use! This powder has a warm spicy taste that is best used in teas, smoothies, juices, homemade jams or pickles,...
- All-Natural! The ginger root is dried at low temperatures and carefully milled into a powder, which helps retain its...
Note: This is also a highly effective remedy for a sore throat. If you have this symptom too, we recommend going through our collection of the best home remedies for sore throat. You can also try out our recommendations for the best home remedies for a stuffy nose!
4. Steam Inhaling
Inhaling steam or vapor is a good home remedy for loosening the mucus build-up in your sinuses thanks to the heat and moisture. Therefore, inhaling steam for sinus infection also helps with headaches and facial pain that are associated with sinus infections or clogging.
- A running shower with hot water or a pot.
- Menthol / eucalyptus essential oil.
- A towel.
To take a steamy bath, add a few drops in the bathroom or shower cabin and let the hot water work its magic while you inhale the steam.
However, you could use steam for sinus infection much more effectively if you add a few drops of essential oils or other home remedies for sinus infection mentioned in this article to a pot of boiling water. Then, bend over the pot and use a towel to trap as much steam as possible.
- LIQUID MENTHOL Essential Oil ... No additives, Just Proprietary extraction method of all MINT LIQUID MENTHOL ~!!
- LIQUID At Room Temperature ~!!
- Menthol - Essential Oil
- Pure and natural, steam distilled eucalyptus essential oil; non-toxin, no additives, unfiltered and undiluted with no...
- Extracted from the leaves using a chemical-free, double distillation process to ensure the highest level of purity
- SAFETY WARNING: For external use only. Other than aromatherapy, dilute with a carrier oil. For topical use, rub a very...
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
One of the best home remedies for sinus infection is apple cider vinegar. Another pantry staple, apple cider vinegar helps your immune system keep up the defensive barriers while also being a powerful decongestant. Apple cider vinegar can be one of your strongest allies when it comes to fighting bacterial infections. It’s a safe home remedy for sinus infection for adults and children alike.
- Raw apple cider vinegar.
- Lemon (optional).
Here’s how to use apple cider vinegar for sinus infection: Add two to three tablespoons of raw apple cider vinegar to one cup of hot water and drink up. If you wish, you can add honey and lemon to soften the taste.
- Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar USDA Organic - Plastic Bottle
- Certified Organic Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar is unfiltered, unheated, unpasteurized and 5% acidity, and...
- Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar is organically grown, processed and bottled in accordance with the California Organic Foods...
- MOTHER KNOWS BEST - Made from certified organic, USA-grown apples, our premium, unfiltered apple cider vinegar (ACV) has...
- AS HARDWORKING AS YOU ARE - Whether as a tangy salad dressing swap-in, quick digestive tonic, natural household cleaner...
- SIMPLY MADE - To make sure you get fresh flavor and rich color, our non-GMO ACV is fermented from fresh apple juice (not...
- Serving Size - 1 tbsp
- Does Not Contain: Pesticide, herbicide, pollutant.
- Ys Royal Jelly/honey Bee
- Certified Organic, Gluten Free, US Grade A, OU Kosher certified and reliably produced without the use of herbicides,...
- Responsibly sourced, thoroughly tested and minimally processed, Nature Nate's organic honey impeccably complements...
- Unlike overly manufactured pasteurized substitutes, raw unfiltered honey contains a greater variety of organic...
We know that you keep hearing how important it is to stay hydrated. Nevertheless, staying hydrated is key to maintaining your body’s health, including that of your sinuses. Water and tea are the most recommended drinks. However, you should steer clear of caffeinated drinks, black tea or alcoholic drinks. These hasten the dehydration process, which may lead to the mucus drying up as well. In turn, your sinuses will clog, keeping allergens, pollutants, and bacteria and worsening the symptoms overall.
- Herbal teas like mullein, chamomile, thyme, echinacea, or calendula tea.
- 95%+ Organic
- Alvita mullein tea is made with premium-quality organic mullein leaves and flowers and produces a slightly astringent...
- Help soothe the respiratory system
- Chamomile is appreciated by many for its comforting, soothing taste and delicate aroma. Since it is naturally caffeine...
- For the perfect cup we recommend that you use one tea bag. Add freshly boiled water and infuse for 3-4 minutes. Our Pure...
- Ideal for bedtime to help with sleep
- Buddha Teas - Thyme Tea 18 bag
- Brand New and Sealed
- Promotes Immune Function*
- Non-GMO verified. All Ingredients Certified Organic. Kosher. Caffeine Free.
- Herbal Supplement. The highest quality, pharmacopoeia grade herbs
- USDA CERTIFIED ORGANIC: 100% certified organic by OEFFA. The highest quality tea leaves farmed and packaged free from...
- SUPER HERB: Once used as a yellow dye, Calendula (Botanical Name: Calendula officinalis) is an edible herb flower that's...
- 1 LBS BULK PACKAGING: Calendula comes as loose leaves in a 1 lbs. bag with a seal to maintain freshness in between use....
7. Spicy Foods
We’ve already discussed the benefits of turmeric and ginger root as home remedies for sinus infection. Nonetheless, they are not the only spices that can help the decongestion and healing of your sinuses while keeping up your immune system. Here’s a list of sinus infection remedies in the form of spices, herbs, and roots:
- Horseradish, preferably fresh.
- Curry powder.
- Chili peppers.
Prepare your favorite foods and spice them up as much as you can without compromising your digestive system.
- A new yellow mustard recipe from Heinz, who has been devoted to making food taste better for over 150 years
- More flavorful yellow mustard using 100% natural ingredients
- Made with a secret blend of spices and vinegar for a perfect balance of flavor and tang
- Does not spoil but the heat/flavor is perishable. Keep in the fridge not the pantry.
- Extra Hot - Not at all like supermarket horseradish - Feels like your hair is falling out.
- Gluten Free - Kosher - Vegan - Farm Fresh Ingredients - As good or better than homemade.
- Deli Direct Extra Hot 100% Pure Fresh Ground Horseradish, 16 oz, 3 count
- Pack of 1 x 3-Ounce
- Its a unique blend of spices
- Its a complete organic food
- Organic Curry Leaf Powder also known as Murraya koenigii is an antioxidant, antimicrobial & anti-inflammatory herb.
- 100% Natural & Pure Herb is also known as Sweet Neem Sustainably sourced and fairly traded.
- Aromatic and flavorful Curry leaves Powder add a pungent lemony flavor, No chemical pesticides, artificial additives or...
- AUTHENTIC CHINESE CUISINE ESSENTIAL: Chinese whole dried chili is an essential ingredient for making hot chili oil,...
- QUALITY GUARANTEED: Dried whole red chili is vacuum sealed by Foodsaver to get keep freshness.
- COOK IN THE WAY YOU LIKE: Red dried chili peppers can be pan fried or dry roasted together for garnish.
- Soeos premium dried chiles not only provides the heat but also the unique flavors to your daily cuisines.
- Dry chiles add color, flavor, visual appeal and heat to their cuisines.
- Whole dried chili can be used to make Chongqing hot pot, hot chili oil, hot sauce and more.
- Wasabi Sauce
- Origin: Japan.
- Comes in a resealable bag
- 100% Pure Product - Ingredients Japanese Horseradish or Wasbi
8. Allergen-Free Home
This may not be a home remedy for a sinus infection per se. Nonetheless, sinus infections can be caused or aggravated by allergens. The more allergens there are in your home, the worse the sinus infection pain can get. As such, proofing your home against allergens will cut the risk of severe allergies and severe sinusitis.
- Allergen-proof mattress protector.
- Air filters for HVAC units.
- Air purifier.
Get rid of bed bugs and dust mites, use allergen-free bedding, restrict your pets’ access to the house or at least the bedroom, and install air filter systems. These are just a few of the steps you can take to make your home allergen-free.
- Protects Against Dust Mites, Fluids, Urine, Perspiration, Allergens And Bacteria (10-Year Warranty)
- Hypoallergenic Cotton Terry Surface With Membrane Back Coating (Waterproof, Noiseless and Breathable)
- Great For Those With Kids, Pets, Allergies, Asthma, Eczema Or Incontinence (OEKO-TEX Certified SHO025 151792 TESTEX)
- 100% Waterproof - Top protection against perspiration, bed wetting, liquids and stains; 10-year quality guarantee (NOTE:...
- Hypoallergenic - Blocks dust mites, allergens, bacteria, mildew and mold - For ultimate allergy relief, buy together...
- Soft & Noiseless - 100% cotton terry surface; Wicks away moisture; Retains the feel of your mattress - Free from Vinyl,...
- Outperforms fiberglass, washable and non-electrostatic 3-month pleated 1" home air filters
- Designed with exclusive Filtrete Brand 3-in-1 technology from 3M to trap unwanted air particles while letting cleaner...
- Attracts and captures microscopic particles such as smoke, cough and sneeze debris, bacteria and viruses-and large...
- 20x25x1 MERV 8 Pleated Air Filter for AC HVAC or Furnace (Pack of 2 Filters). AFB Silver MERV 8, comparable with MPR 300...
- MADE IN THE USA: Manufactured by FilterBuy in the USA using 100% American made components. Save big on a premium product...
- TRAPS 90% OF AIRBORNE PARTICLES: Say goodbye to dust, debris, lint, pollen, and pet dander. Say hello to better indoor...
- AIR PURIFIER FOR ALLERGIES AND PETS: HEPA Filter captures 9997% of dust and allergens as small as 3 microns such as...
- AIR PURIFIER FOR SMOKERS: Charcoal filter reduces common odors from pets, smoking, cooking and wildfire smoke Cord...
- AIR PURIFIER FOR MOLD AND GERMS: Optional UV-C light technology works with Titanium Dioxide to reduce airborne bacteria,...
- Designed in California. 100% ozone free, does not use UV or ions which produce trace amounts of measurable ozone, a...
- 3 Stage Filtration System: Pre-filter, TRUE HEPA Filter & Activated Carbon Filter. It removes 99. 97% of dust, smoke,...
- 3 Speed Settings (low, medium, and high) provide options for various conditions
9. Grapefruit Seed Extract
Grapefruit seed extract is one of the best home remedies for sinus infection. Made from finely ground grapefruit seeds, the grapefruit seed extract is hailed as a strong natural antibiotic. Typically mixed in nasal spray solutions, this at sinus infection home remedy since it acts directly upon the infection. As an antibiotic, it will fight the bacteria and the infection it causes. As such, grapefruit seed extract helps to moisten the mucus, clear out the excess and restore the health of the sinuses.
- Grapefruit seed extract.
Dilute up to 3 drops of grapefruit seed extract in a glass of water and use a nasal spray bottle or a Neti pot to irrigate the nostrils and sinuses.
- Grapefruit bioflavonoids (polyphenols) are converted into an extremely potent compound
- Contains vegetable glycerine (67%) and grapefruit seed extract(33%), a compound derived from the seed and pulp of...
- Made without Gluten and GMOs
- PROMOTES HEART HEALTH - Grape seed extract has been shown to help with poor circulation and lowering cholesterol levels.
- POTENT ANTIOXIDANT - Grape seed extract is known for it's proven ability to cleanse your body of toxins and free...
- HIGH QUALITY - Our liquid grape seed extract is uniformly standardized to the highest level of active principles. and...
10. Use a Home Humidifier
The key to keeping your sinuses healthy is to keep the air in your home moist in addition to hydrating yourself.
- Air humidifier & plenty of filters for it.
Make sure the air humidifier is thoroughly cleaned (including its filters) at all times. Otherwise, it may store allergens and bacteria, spreading them through the air and worsening your condition.
- URPOWER New Version: The URPOWER Ultrasonic Aroma Essential Oil Diffuser is an upgraded version. The 2nd generation...
- Please use 100% pure essential oils with no corrosivity, Ultrasonic aroma essential oil diffuse is safe and does not...
- Outlet shouldn't be inserted cord that exceeds the maximum voltage.Fight back against dry air. This stylish...
- 【Multi-Functions Diffuser】 Wobrikosee 300ml Essential Oil Diffuser can be used as a tiny humidifier and for...
- 【Various color light options】 There are 7 color of the light to choose (Green, Dark blue, Red, Yellow, Pink, Light...
- 【Unique and Stylish Design】 Wobrikosee aroma diffuser with the wood grain that looks classy and clean, it's...
11. Fermented Cod Liver Oil
Fermented cod liver oil is hailed by some as the best sinus infection home remedy. Nonetheless, the oil doesn’t act directly on the sinuses. Instead, it’s a powerful immune system booster as it is packed with omega 3 fatty acids, vitamin D, A, and E.
- Fermented cod liver oil capsules.
You may think that the process through which the cod liver oil is extracted damages the essential nutrients. However, this is not the case. As the oil is obtained through an all-natural fermentation process, fermented cod liver oil keeps the wealth of nutrients that are vital for your health.
- Green Pasture Products Liquid Cod Liver OIL in Arctic MINT
- 8oz Bottle Provides 118 Servings each
- Premium Quality Fermented High Vitamin Cod Liver Oil, Capsules
- Manufactured Date indicates freshness and date of bottling. Bottle does not provide an expiration date. For more...
12. Warm Compresses & Inhalations
Sinusitis and sinus infections may be caused by temperature changes and cold weather. Keeping your sinuses warm is a great tip on the home remedies for sinus infection list. Use warm compresses at home, while lying in bed or before you go to sleep. This will help you keep the nasal passages and nasal tissue moist.
- Cloth compresses.
13. Oregano Oil
Add oregano oil to your list of amazing home remedies for sinus infection and you won’t regret it. Oregano oil carries a host of anti-fungal, antibacterial, antiviral, and antibiotic properties that make it an excellent choice in fighting sinusitis and sinus infections.
- Oregano oil.
In addition to adding three to four drops to a cup of hot tea, you can also try it for inhalations. Steam-inhaled or ingested, oregano oil will kill the bacteria thriving in the inflamed sinus tissue. As such, it aids with both the sinus infection and reducing the sinus inflammation.
- Oregano oil enteric 90 gels by now foods
- NOWSUPPVitamin-Herbs- 90SGELS
- Now foods product upc : 733739047328
- MADE WITH HIGH QUALITY ORGANIC MEDITERRANEAN OREGANO - Our oregano oil supplement is formulated with only the best...
- IMMUNE SUPPORT - Oil of Oregano has been used for thousands of years, originating from ancient Greece, and has been used...
- HEALTHY INTESTINAL FLORA - Studies have shown that oregano oil helps to support healthy intestinal flora. *
14. Coconut Oil
Another one of the home remedies for sinus infections is coconut oil. Coconut oil has numerous applications as a home remedy. From repairing damaged skin to healing other skin conditions, repairing damaged hair to whitening your teeth, coconut oil is a miracle worker.
- Coconut oil.
- Cotton discs.
You’ll be happy to know that it can also be used as an efficient anti-fungal and anti-bacterial sinus infection home remedy inside the nasal passages. Just use the cotton dabs to spread the coconut oil and help moisturize the nasal passages. Keep in mind, however, that coconut oil is not supposed to reach your sinuses. This remedy is meant for the inside of the nostrils only.
- 100% Natural and Organic: USDA certificated cold pressed and unrefined coconut oil, extra virgin quality, aromatic...
- Sri Lanka Produce the Best Coconut: Old-fashioned, non-crossbred coconut trees planted in nutrient-rich coastal soil...
- The Choice of Health-Conscious lifestyles: Coconut oil is a healthy alternative to other cooking oils, high content of...
- COCONUT OIL Made Especially for Beauty
- EXCEPTIONALLY High Grade Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil for Hair and Skin [available in 4.5oz,8oz & 15.5oz sizes]
- "OK HOLY COW, There IS a difference! When I ordered this I thought now really? Is there really a difference in the...
15. Herbs & Spices Sinus Steam
Inhaling vapors works wonders in terms of decongesting inflamed sinuses. If you add a varied herbal spice mix to the hot water, it’s even better. That’s because each of these herbs and spices carries a host of properties beneficial for the body’s overall health.
- Caraway seeds.
Fill a pot with water, bring the water to boiling temperature., then add two to three tablespoons of the herbs and spices mix. Let the mixture sit for five minutes, then cover the pot and your head with a towel and inhale the warm fragrance vapors. This will not only relieve the sinus pain but also help with moistening the nasal passages’ tissue. You can prepare a larger amount of the dry mix with the ingredients you have at hand. That way, it will always be ready for use.
- 3 Bundles of Sage - Each stick is approximately 4 inches long
- High quality, true Salvia apiana
- Grown in California, packaged in USA
- 3 - Large sage bundles, each at least 8 inches long and 1.25 inches wide
- High quality, true Salvia apiana
- Grown in California, packaged in the USA
- Distinctively warm, slightly minty flavor
- Add visual appeal to meats
- Brought to you by McCormick Culinary, the premium quality brand that delivers consistent, pure flavor
- Dried fresh harvest cooking thyme herb
- Gently hand harvested using only the highest-grade leaves and flowers
- The small-batch approach assures bold aroma and delicate taste
- Caraway Seed is the fruit of a biennial herb in the parsley family and is a common flavoring for many kinds of rye...
- also used to flavor sauerkraut, sausage, cheese, cabbage, and soups.
- Caraway Seed has a pungent aroma and a distinctly sweet but tangy flavor
- Caraway seeds have a pungent and anise- like flavor and aroma.
- Used primarily as a spice in breads (especially rye bread).
- It can also be used in casseroles and mixed in with cheeses.
- Hand-selected cloves with a high oil content for rich flavor in pickles, drinks, curries and meats
- Excellent value
- Spicy World brings you quality spices from around the world and freshly packages them right here in the USA
- Our Healthworks Organic Ceylon Cinnamon Powder has a warm aroma and will bring a spicy sweetness to all kinds of...
- It's excellent flavor goes perfect with cookies, cakes, coffee, oatmeal, and breads as well as curries, sauces,...
- Our Cinnamon is from the Ceylon variety (also known as "True Cinnamon" or "Real Cinnamon") which is harvested from the...
- Many users of Ceylon Cinnamon have had positive results in controlling there blood sugar. In fact Several studies have...
- Both the TASTE and AROMA of Ceylon Cinnamon is different then that of Cassia Cinnamon, which is the cinnamon we are used...
- To keep your cinnamon fresh and protected against oxygen, sunlight, moisture and heat, our cinnamon is packed in a high...
We hope our list of 15 home remedies for sinus infection will help you keep the symptoms under control. If the symptoms persist, we strongly encourage setting up an appointment with your doctor. What was your experience with home remedies when dealing with a sinus infection?