Tinnitus is an annoying ringing sound in the ear; one that can be either constant or intermittent. No matter how often tinnitus strikes, it is distracting and problematic, especially because it can occur in both ears at one time. Tinnitus can be caused by:
- An exposure to loud noises
- An infection in the ear
- Bone loss in the ear
- Circulatory disorders
- Deficiencies in vitamins and minerals
- Earwax blockage
- High altitudes
- High or low blood pressure
- Upper respiratory infections
In this article, we will offer a few trusted home remedies for tinnitus. We will provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to use each of these remedies.
1. Ginkgo Biloba
Ginkgo Biloba is known as one of the best home remedies for tinnitus. It helps to improve blood circulation. This is one of the key causes of tinnitus, so treating the root can help stop the ringing. You can take supplements that include this ingredient and turn it into a tea by opening it up and using its contents.
- Ginkgo Biloba
- Bring water to its boiling point.
- Place the Ginkgo Biloba into the bottom of the mug or mix the Ginkgo Biloba in.
- You want to be sure that it is thoroughly blended in.
- Cover the Ginkgo Biloba with water.
- Let it steep it for 10-15 minutes.
- Drink the whole cup up to twice daily.
- You can drink it when symptoms are present or as a way to stop them.
- Enjoy the warmth that comes along with the hot tea to further soothe your ailments.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is both an anti-inflammatory and an antifungal agent. This makes it ideal for treating any kind of infection that may be causing the tinnitus. Apple cider vinegar can also help balance out the pH in the body, furthering its benefits for tinnitus.
- Apple cider vinegar
- Pour apple cider vinegar into a cup
- Mix it with water if you can’t stand the taste, although you’ll only need an ounce or so.
- Drink the apple cider vinegar or apple cider vinegar mixture twice daily.
3. Holy Basil Oil
Holy Basil is an antibacterial agent that can stop any sort of infections which could be causing the tinnitus. Its properties can kill off bacteria and provide anti-inflammatory benefits at the same time. It can also relieve any ear pain that is coming along with the tinnitus. There is holy basil oil at health food stores that you can use.
- Holy basil essential oil
- Vegetable oil or olive oil
- Mix the holy basil essential oil with vegetable or olive oil, which will help carry the oil into the skin.
- Dab the holy basil oil mixture onto the affected area. The holy basil essential oil will work to relieve the pain and swelling that comes with the infection.
Onions are known for their antibacterial properties; therefore, an onion may help you overcome your tinnitus if it is caused by bacteria. Onions are cheap and easy to acquire at a grocery store. Using them for tinnitus is simple.
- Onion juice
- Vegetable oil or olive oil
- Make an onion juice by chopping a small onion into pieces.
- Warm up the pieces in the microwave.
- After they cool, strain out the juice.
- Put the juice in a container.
- Mix the onion juice with the pure vegetable oil.
- The vegetable oil will help bring the juice into the skin.
- Dab the onion juice behind the ears.
Garlic is an antibacterial and anti-inflammatory compound. It can be used to treat tinnitus by eliminating bacteria that is causing it. It can also improve the circulation of the blood which is another driving factor of tinnitus. It doesn’t take much to get the garlic ready for use and buying garlic is cheap.
- Frying pan
- Sesame seed oil
- Fry two cloves of crushed garlic in a single tablespoon of sesame oil.
- Strain the garlic and let it cool down.
- Put two or three drops of the oil right into the ear canal.
- Repeat this process at night before you sleep.
Salt water, or a saline solution, is an antibacterial compound. This ensures that the bacteria will clear out of your throat and ears, helping to stave off the cause of the tinnitus problem. Salt is a common household item and is thereby a virtually free solution.
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 8 ounces of warm water
- Heat warm water on a stove or in a microwave.
- Stir sea salt into water until it has dissolved.
- Gargle the solution for up to 15 seconds.
- Spit it out and repeat the gargle with the remaining water.
- Rinse with plain water when you’re done.
Ginger is a catchall cure, and that is certainly applicable to tinnitus. The healing and medicinal properties of ginger can help improve the circulation of the blood. This can stop one of the main causes of tinnitus. It can also fight free radicals while getting rid of any pathogens. It also has a pain reducing properties to stop ear pain.
- Ginger root powder
- Boil water.
- Put ginger into a mug and pour the water over top of it.
- Drink the ginger tea when the ringing starts or throughout the day to stop it before it begins.
8. Mustard Oil
Mustard oil is a natural rubefacient. This means that it can increase the circulation and tackle this underlying issue of tinnitus. It also has antibacterial and antifungal properties that can treat an ear infection. It boosts the immune system and resists the buildup of ear wax.
- Warm up mustard in the microwave for a few seconds.
- Put some warm mustard oil in the ear that is affected.
- Let the oil sit for up to 10 minutes.
- Tilt your head to the opposite side in order to drain the oil out of the ear.
- Take out the softened earwax with an ear Q-tip or bud.
- Repeat this process once a day for a couple of days.
Pumpkin is also a good choice as it is rich in vitamin A. This can help to stop tinnitus. It has been shown that a deficiency in vitamin A can cause a number of ear problems including tinnitus. With vitamin A, you are getting an essential vitamin that allows for the proper functioning of the inner ear, or the cochlea. This is responsible for the transmission of sound.
- Try to incorporate pumpkin into your salads and soups.
- You can enjoy it stuffed, grilled, steamed or baked.
- You could also take a vitamin A supplement.
Eating pineapple can help lessen the inflammation that is found in the ear. This is due to the inclusion of an enzyme called bromelain. The pineapple also offers various vitamins such as that all-important vitamin A. Pineapple can be purchased at any grocery store, making it easily accessible and a delicious way to treat tinnitus.
- Try to eat fresh pineapple throughout the day at regular intervals. This can help keep inflammation at a low. Drinking fresh pineapple juice is also recommended to do the same job.
11. White Noise
White noise is a great sound therapy that can help reduce tinnitus or at least dull the intense nature of the ringing. It can also increase the volume of environmental sounds which can help to drown out the tinnitus. Some folks may choose to use a white noise machine that can be purchased at a store. You could also use an app on your phone, as there are several ones that are free. This helps to relax you, help you sleep and concentrate.
- White noise machine or white noise app
- Listen to white noise when the ringing becomes incessant to drown it out.
12. Coenzyme Q10
Coenzyme Q10 is another way to help stop tinnitus. Coenzyme Q10 functions in a similar way that bromelain does in stopping tinnitus where it starts. Finding Coenzyme Q10 is as simple as going to a health food store and looking at their supplement products. You can take Coenzyme Q10 up to 300 milligrams a day is the best way to deal with tinnitus.
It is a powerful antioxidant that can help detoxify the ear when it is exposed to any sort of tinnitus causing bacteria. It can also help the immune system and bring better circulation to the ear.
- Take Coenzyme Q10 up to 300 milligrams a day for the best results.
13. Mistletoe Tea
Mistletoe Tea can help improve the circulation around the ear. This can help stop one of the root causes of tinnitus.
- Boil some water.
- Insert mistletoe into the mug.
- Pour hot water onto the herbs.
- Let it steep like a tea.
- Drink the tea when the ringing begins.
- You could also drink it to totally stop the ringing.
14. Fenugreek Seeds
Making an herbal tea out of Fenugreek seeds can help improve the circulation as well. It may also help with inflammation that is causing ear pain.
- Fenugreek Seeds
- Mix fenugreek seeds with a plain and unflavored yogurt.
- Swallow a few spoonfuls of the yogurt.
- Do this when the ringing starts, or as a way to prevent it from starting at all.
15. Basil Leaves
Basil leaves can assist with inflammation and can also improve circulation. Drink some in a tea for the best results.
- Boil water
- Insert basil leaves into a mug.
- Pour the boiling water over the leaves.
- Allow it to steep to form a tea.
- Drink the tea as symptoms arise or throughout the day.
Tinnitus may be persistent or intermittent, but either way, it is highly distracting. Check out our list of the best home remedies for tinnitus and let us know if we missed any of your go-to remedies in the comments below