In our article, we will offer you 15 home remedies for a twisted ankle. Sprained ankles occur for a number of different reasons: you could injure it while playing sports, exercising or any physical activity. Symptoms are usually serious pain, swelling, bruising, inflammation, and difficulty moving the ankle. There are several ways that you can take care of sprained ankles at home.
Bid Farewell to the Nasty Twisted Ankles
We will offer you a look at a handful of them, as well as the steps that are needed to complete each remedy. Keep in mind that the home remedies for twisted ankles listed here are for dealing with the symptoms. We recommend you visit a medic for proper medical treatment. You can use any of the home remedies for twisted ankles presented here alongside your medical treatment, but it’s best if you ask your doctor first.
Twisting your ankle may also lead to swollen feet. To deal with this side effect, take a look at our home remedies for swollen feet.
Turmeric is a spice that is commonly used to flavor foods of different kinds. When added to your diet, you could also treat your sprained ankle that way. Turmeric is one of the most potent natural anti-inflammatories out there, making it a great choice for a home remedy. It is inexpensive and can be purchased at any grocery store. You can eat it, or for a more direct option, you can apply it topically.
- Turmeric powder
- Lime juice
- Pour lukewarm water into a small bowl.
- Add in a tablespoon of lime juice.
- Mix in two tablespoons of turmeric powder.
- Stir it all up in order to make a thick paste.
- Apply the paste right to the ankle.
- Wrap the affected ankle with a bandage to keep the paste in place.
- Do this for a week, once every ten hours.
2. Olive Oil
Olive oil is full of phenolic compounds. These compounds are able to get rid of the painful inflammation that makes the sprained ankle hurt the most. Not only this, but it can speed up the healing process. Olive oil can usually be found in the cupboards of any home. If not, it is inexpensive to purchase a bottle at any grocery store. It is one of the cheaper and most effective home remedies for twisted ankles.
- Heat up a single teaspoon of olive oil.
- Allow the oil to cool down.
- Apply the lukewarm oil to the most painful area.
- Massage that area for a few minutes.
- Repeat this three times a day for best results.
Ice is about as inexpensive as it gets in terms of home remedies for twisted ankles. You can store or create ice in your freezer, meaning that most people will already have it in their homes. Ice is good at healing a twisted ankle by taking away its soreness and inflammation. You can apply the ice frequently in order to slowly take away the pain. Ice and heat in the alternating rotation can also help relieve the pain even more quickly.
- Ice cubes
- Take some ice cubes and fold them up in a thin, clean cotton towel.
- Compress it onto the affected ankle.
- Hold it there for anywhere between 10 to 15 minutes.
- Repeat this process every two hours to manage pain.
- You could also fill a bucket with ice water and submerge the ankle.
Onion is a highly potent anti-inflammatory. Because of this, onions are excellent for reducing the pain of your twisted ankle. You can find onions in any grocery store. They are very inexpensive, especially if you only buy one onion at a time. Most people will already have an onion in their kitchen somewhere being stored for cooking. In this case, the home remedy is virtually free.
- Large onion
- Chop up an onion into smaller pieces.
- Place the small pieces of onion into a muslin cloth.
- Secure a rubber band around it in order to keep it closed.
- Place the pouch onto the painful area for a minimum of two hours. You can wrap tape or a bandage around it in order to keep it in place during that time.
Garlic is a rather common home remedy for a number of things. This is due to the fact that garlic is potent as an anti-inflammatory and antibacterial agent. Therefore, it may be able to help you heal up your ankle and heels and reduce the pain from the inflammation. Not only that but if you consume it, you can help your body recover quicker. Garlic can be found in any grocery store for a relatively inexpensive price.
- Garlic juice
- Coconut oil
- Mix in a single tablespoon of garlic juice with coconut oil.
- Once blended together, rub the mixture onto the affected area.
- Keep it on the ankle for 30 minutes at a time.
- Rinse it off using lukewarm water.
- Put this mixture on three times a day.
6. Castor Oil
Castor oil is a great choice because of its ricinoleic acid. This acid is a natural anti-inflammatory. It is also a triglyceride that has been used traditionally to help those affected experience relief from a twisted or sprained ankle. Castor oil can be found at any grocery store, pharmacy, or health store. It is rather inexpensive to purchase.
- Cotton cloth
- Castor oil
- Pour a bit of castor oil into a container.
- Fold up a thin, clean cotton cloth and make a thick pad out of it.
- Dip the pad into the container full of castor oil.
- Place it on the painful part of the ankle.
- Wrap it into place with a bandage and/or tape.
- Elevate the ankle.
7. Epsom Salt
With Epsom salt, you are given plenty of magnesium to work with. Magnesium has long been used to treat a sprained or twisted ankle. There is crystal in Epson salt that can soothe the sore muscles surrounding the ankle. Epsom salt is commonly used in baths. It can be found in any store and is not expensive to purchase.
- Epsom salt
- Measure out one cup of Epsom salt.
- Run a bath filled with warm water.
- Dump the Epsom salt into the bath.
- Mix it around using your hand until the salt has been dissolved into the water.
- Put your ankle into the Epsom salt bath for a minimum of half an hour.
- Do this at least twice a day for approximately three days.
Cabbage may seem like a surprising choice for a remedy, but this common plant may surprise you. It is full of anti-inflammatory properties that can relieve your pain and help with the swelling. It also is loaded with vitamins and phytonutrients that can help accelerate the healing process. Cabbage can be found in any grocery store in the produce section. It, too, is relatively inexpensive to buy.
- Head of cabbage
- Rolling pin
- Gauze bandage
- Remove the outer leaves of the cabbage.
- Using a rolling pin, crush up the leaves to extract the cabbage juice.
- Warm up the leaves in the oven. Cover them with tin foil. Try to avoid overheating the leaves.
- Put the lukewarm cabbage atop the affected area and secure it with a gauze bandage.
- Keep it on for 30 minutes. Repeat twice a day.
Compression is a solid choice for a lot of painful ailments. It is something you should do as soon as you become injured. Not only does compression with a bandage stop further injury, it also controls your pain. You can find the elastic bandage you need at a pharmacy or some other medical shop. A good one will only cost you a few dollars to purchase. For these types of home remedies for twisted ankles, it is best to discuss with your doctor what your options are and what they recommend.
- Wrap the elastic bandage from the toes to midway up your calf.
- Leave it on for the entire day, only removing it to sleep.
- Try not to over tighten it. If it becomes blue or numb, remove the bandage.
10. Ginger Root
Ginger root is good at reducing pain and helping to heal the ankle. You can find ginger root in just about any grocery store; you will want to look in the produce section for the root.
- 2- to 3-inch piece of ginger root
- Clean cotton cloth
- Fill a saucepot or something similar with eight cups of water.
- Slice up the ginger.
- Drop the sliced ginger into the water.
- Boil the water for a total of five minutes.
- Leave it sitting until it cools and becomes lukewarm.
- Soak a clean cotton cloth in the solution.
- Wrap the cloth around the affected ankle.
11. Lemongrass Oil
Lemongrass oil is full of a number of different properties that will be beneficial to the healing process of a twisted ankle. Such properties include analgesia, antiseptic, astringent, antibacterial and fungicidal benefits. With all of these combined, you can help reduce the pain in your muscles and in your joints from the ailing ankle. Lemongrass oil can be found in health food stores and could be found in department or grocery stores.
- Lemongrass oil
- Olive oil as a carrier oil
- Mix one part lemongrass oil and four parts olive oil.
- Be sure they are blended seamlessly.
- Massage the oil mixture onto the sprained portion of the ankle.
- Do this three times a day.
12. Sweet Marjoram Oil
Sweet marjoram oil is full of therapeutic properties as well. With its antiseptic, analgesic, anti-spasmodic, antiviral, antibacterial and anti-fungal blend, it is a major player in healing your ankle. You can find marjoram oil in health food stores. Hence, you may also have luck finding such oils in grocery stores and department stores. It is relatively inexpensive.
- Marjoram oil
- Small tub
- Fill a small tub with cold water.
- Add a few teaspoons of marjoram oil into it and mix it up.
- Soak a clean, cotton towel in the mixture.
- Wring out any excess water.
- Place the towel on the affected ankle to decrease pain and inflammation.
13. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is simple to come by and cheap to buy. It can soothe many problems of the muscles and skin. Also, this makes one of the best home remedies for twisted ankles.
- Open an aloe vera leaf and get the gel out of it.
- Soak a cotton swab or pad in the gel.
- Apply the gel to the injured ankle.
- Let the gel dry.
- Do not rinse it off.
14. Oil Blend
You can get pain relief immediately by mixing together a blend of potent oils. Consequently, the oils listed are ones that are known to provide pain relief right away when applied topically.
- Wintergreen oil
- Peppermint oil
- Frankincense oil
- Clove bud oil
- Ginger oil
- Olive oil, as a carrier oil
- Add three drops of oil(s) into the olive oil.
- Mix them together and apply over the ankle.
15. White Fir Essential Oil
White fir oil is an ultra-potent anti-inflammatory. It is also a potent antioxidant. Further, these properties make it perfect for pain management. You can find it at any health food store. Then, you are also likely to find it at a grocery store.
- Vegetable oil
- White fir oil
- Mix equal parts of each oil.
- Apply the mixture to the ankle.
We Understand the Pain of your Twisted Ankles
Treating a twisted ankle is as simple as following one or more of the home remedies above. Have we forgotten your go-to home remedies for twisted ankles? We want to hear about it. Also, tell us about it in the comments section below.