Vaginal itching is something that most women and teenagers will experience at some point in their lives. Oftentimes, vaginal itching is accompanied by other, less pleasant symptoms. This usually includes burning, dryness, odors, acne and more. This condition can be caused by a number of things. Periods, hormonal imbalances and infections are the most common sources. In this article, we will provide you with home remedies for vaginal itching. Each one of the home remedies will be cheaper than getting expensive creams. We will offer you the materials you will need to complete each remedy as well.
If you suspect your itching is related to a yeast infection, you should also try out our home remedies for yeast infection. If the symptoms persist, we strongly advise visit a doctor.
Garlic is full of allicin. This is an active compound that is full of both antioxidants and antibacterials. Garlic is able to reduce the bad bacteria in the vagina that is potentially causing the vaginal itching to start with. Not only this, but its antioxidants make it easy to boost the immune system. If there is any sort of infection going on, garlic may help your body get over it faster.
- Garlic cloves
- Boil a cup of water.
- Put in a handful of garlic cloves into the water.
- Allow it to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Strain the liquid.
- Let the water cool down.
- Rinse the affected area with the lukewarm water.
Yogurt is not only naturally soothing to the skin; it is full of probiotics. From the moment the yogurt is applied, you should experience immediate relief. The probiotics in the yogurt will allow you to experience prolong relief from itching. This is because the live bacteria, or probiotics, in the yogurt will help to eliminate the bad bacteria that is causing the itching. You need to use plain, unflavored and unsweetened yogurt; anything else will irritate your skin further.
Plain, unsweetened yogurt
- Warm up the yogurt to room temperature to make application comfortable.
- Apply it to the itchy parts of the vulva.
- Allow it to sit for up to 10 minutes.
- Gently wash it away.
3. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is one of the most commonly used oils around. It has a number of health, beauty and medicinal uses that many people take advantage of. One of the ways that it is commonly used is for soothing vaginal itching. Coconut oil has caprylic acid in it, which is both an anti-inflammatory and an anti-fungal. This is especially useful if it is a yeast infection giving you the vaginal itching.
- Cotton ball
- Coconut oil
- Put a cotton ball in some warm coconut oil.
- Apply the coconut oil onto the affected area.
- Let it sit for 30 minutes.
- You can also dilute it with water to rinse off the vulva each day.
4. Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is full of anti-inflammatories, antifungals, antibacterials and antimicrobial compounds. All of these things work together to provide you with relief from vaginal itching. Not only will it take away the swelling, it can get rid of any bacteria that might be causing the infection to begin with. Apple cider vinegar can also help to restore the pH balance of the vulva.
- Apple cider vinegar
- Put two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar into a warm glass of water.
- Stir it up well.
- When you experience any itching, apply the apple cider vinegar to the affected area.
- Repeat this two or three times a day. This may help you prevent itching in the future.
5. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is great at fighting off any yeast infections. Vaginal itching is oftentimes caused by these infections, making tea tree oil a great choice. You can find tea tree oil in most department stores or health stores. It is important that you dilute the tea tree oil before using it. Always test a little bit on less sensitive skin; some people have allergic reactions to it.
- Tea tree oil
- Dilute one teaspoon of tea tree oil into a half of a cup of warm water.
- Mix it well.
- Use this mixture to rinse off the affected area.
- Repeat this once a day at a minimum. Do this until the itching stops.
6. Cold Compress
If you scratch at your vulva, you will likely cause it to inflame. When there is inflammation, the discomfort and the itching will likely get worse. A cold compress can get rid of the inflammation when you press it against the affected skin. You can use ice cubes or frozen peas. Cold compresses may increase blood circulation. This is crucial for getting rid of infection and dryness. This remedy is best use together with other home remedies for vaginal itching.
- Ice cubes
- Thin towel
- Wrap a handful of ice cubes in a clean, thin cotton towel.
- Place the towel with ice against the affected area.
- Allow it to sit there for two minutes. Take it away for one minute.
- Repeat this step up to five or six times.
Kefir is full of beneficial probiotics, just like plain yogurt is. It is a dairy product and is loaded with bifidus and lacobacillus bacterias. These cultures can fight off the bad bacteria that is causing you to have an infection of some sort. This way, you can do two things: reduce the vaginal itching straight away while also getting rid of its cause. This ensures it will not return.
- One tampon
- Dip a tampon into some kefir.
- Allow it to sit for two or three minutes to soak it all up.
- Place the tampon inside of your vagina.
- Allow it to sit for a minimum of 10 minutes.
- Remove the tampon. Repeat this twice a day.
8. Salt Water Bath
Salt is able to reduce bacteria while stopping irritation on the skin. By soaking in a salt water bath, you can take away your vaginal itching. The salty bath will help break down the outside of the fungus and bacteria. It does this by removing all of the water inside of their cells, effectively killing them through osmosis. When the bacteria are killed, your itching will stop. It is one of the easiest home remedies for vaginal itching.
- Sea salt
- Fill a bath tub full of water.
- Pour in three cups of sea salt.
- Mix the sea salt around with your hand. Do this until it is mostly dissolved.
- Soak in this water for anywhere between 15 to 20 minutes.
- Do this once a day for a week or two.
Chamomile is something that most people reach for to be soothed. It is naturally soothing and calming, making it a prime candidate for vaginal itching. This herb is full of anti-inflammatories to help bring down the swelling and irritation. Furthermore, it is an antifungal. This can help get rid of the yeast infection causing the vaginal itching if there is one. Chamomile tea may also help strengthen the immune system.
- Boil a cup of water and put in a tablespoon of chamomile tea.
- Allow it to boil for 10 minutes.
- Strain it and put 10 drops of tea tree oil into the tea.
- Allow it to cool.
- Rinse the affected area with it once it is cool.
10. Indian Lilac
Indian lilac, which also goes by the name ‘neem’ is a popular home remedy for vaginal itching. It is full of disinfectants that are able to get rid of vaginal itching. Not only this, but because it is antibacterial, it may be able to rid you of the bad bacteria causing infections. Its anti-inflammatory properties help to stop the swelling and itching on the spot.
- Neem (Indian lilac)
- Boil one cup of water.
- Toss in a handful of neem leaves.
- Allow it to boil for five minutes.
- Make a paste from the leaves that are still wet.
- Apply the paste to the affected area.
- Allow it to sit for half an hour.
- Rinse it with warm water.
- Pat it dry.
- Do this daily.
11. Cranberry Juice
Cranberry juice has a number of benefits when you drink it. This includes lower chances of a urinary tract infection. It also helps lower cholesterol, aids in digestion and strengthens your immune system and the kidneys. Cranberries are great at limiting the growth of bacteria in the body. This will help to keep your vagina free of bacteria in order to get rid of and prevent infections that cause itching.
- Fresh cranberries
- Blend cranberries to make a glass of cranberry juice.
- Mix it in with one tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Put some water in to thin it out.
- Drink this juice twice each day. It will eliminate discomfort while also stopping bacteria from growing.
12. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is an antifungal. This makes it perfect for getting rid of yeast infections that can cause vaginal itching. It is also both an anti-inflammatory and an antibacterial. The former can reduce the redness and swelling that often accompanies the itching. It is known for its ability to stop any sort of skin issues, and this is true of the sensitive skin of the vulva as well. Aloe vera is probably one of the broadest home remedies for vaginal itching.
- Fresh aloe vera leaf
- Cut open an aloe vera leaf.
- Extract the fresh gel inside of the leaf.
- Mix two tablespoons of this gel with one cup of warm water.
- Rinse the affected area with this solution.
- Repeat this whenever the itchiness occurs, as well as twice a day when it doesn’t.
Raw honey is a powerhouse of nutrients. It is an antibacterial, antifungal, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory. This can help get rid of the painful swelling of the vulva which comes with itching. Not only this, but if it is an infection causing the problem, it can stop the infection as well. It is recommended that you use raw honey. You can find raw honey at most grocery stores and at any health food store.
- Raw honey
- Mix in one table spoon of raw honey into a cup of warm water.
- Stir until it is blended well.
- Rinse the vulva using this solution when you get itchy.
- Tea tree oil is optional as an additional barrier against itching.
14. Basil Leaves Cream
Basil leaves are soothing and can help stop itching right away. Furthermore, it is often used as an antifungal and anti-inflammatory agent. This is especially true in Ayurvedic medicine.
- Crush a handful of basil leaves into a powder.
- Put coconut oil into it to form a paste.
- Add in a few drops of tea tree oil.
- Mix it up well.
- Apply it to the vulva for 20 minutes.
- Rinse it with lukewarm water.
15. Essential Oils
There are a variety of essential oils you can use. They each come with their own beneficial properties. It is recommended you use ones like mint, garlic, rosemary or coconut oil.
- Essential oils
- Cotton ball
- Choose the essential oil you want.
- Soak a cotton ball in it.
- Apply it to the affected area.
Vaginal itching cannot only be embarrassing; it can distract you from your day-to-day life. In this article, we have put together home remedies for vaginal itching. These should help relieve you of the issue. Which home remedies for vaginal itching works best for you? Tell us in the comments below.