While it’s recommended that you get a professional opinion concerning the development of a bunion, you don’t necessarily have to opt for surgery. This article will teach you how to relieve the pain, realign the big toe joint to a normal position, and how to get rid of bunions using home remedies. Here are several tips and tricks on how to get rid of a bunion naturally and the best home remedies for bunions:
1. Olive Oil
Olive oil is nourishing and a natural lubricant; it contains 3 antioxidants including vitamin E, which has anti-aging benefits and restores smoothness and elasticity. The secret lies in massaging the bunion as often as you can with olive oil.
- High-quality olive oil.
- Medical tape.
Warm the oil up just a bit, as it is sensitive to higher temperatures. Use the oil to massage the foot, toes, and the bunion two times per day during 10-minute massage sessions. This method works quicker and better when also taping the bunion with medical tape after the massage to keep the toe in a natural position. As the olive oil massage stimulates the movement of synovial fluid and nourishes the big toe joint, the outer layers of the bunion formed by extra calcium are slowly dissolved.
- Imported from Italy. Cold production obtained exclusively from olives harvested from the finest groves in Europe....
- First cold press. Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil is the quintessential every day oil with delicate flavor that has the...
- This product bares The North American Olive Oil Association (NAOOA) Quality Seal and has been tested for both quality...
- 100% pure extra virgin olive oil is cold pressed, unfiltered and sourced from small organic farmers in Greece
- Our EVOO has been certified with a protected designation of origin seal, guaranteeing its origin and purity
- The fact that our EVOO is unfiltered makes all the difference as it means all of olive oil’s beneficial nutrients and...
No products found.
Calendula or Marigold is one of our suggestions for how to get rid of a bunion thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties. The active ingredients in this plant can not only reduce pain caused by inflammation but also prevent corns and calluses. Here’s how to get rid of bunions using marigold:
- Fresh marigold leaves.
Crush the leaves between your fingers, then apply the resulting juice on the bunion and leave it to dry on its own. You can do this up to 3 times per day.
3. Ice Packs
Applying cold compresses, ice cubes or ice packs relieve pain and inflammation from the bunion. Anything cold that comes in handy can be used as a cold compress for bunions.
- Ice cold pack or plastic ice bags
- Damp towel.
Use the ice bag (or the damp towel after letting it sit in the freezer) as a cold compress applied directly to the bunion for 10 to 20 minutes. If you are going for the ice bag, add another insulating layer between your foot and the ice as extreme cold could intensify the pain.
- Smart 3-pack Design for different requirements. [Large (11"), Medium (9"), Small (6")] - The small ice pack is perfect...
- Fast Relief - Ideal for application of cold therapy to help reduce pain and swelling from minor scrapes, bruises, muscle...
- Superior Leak-resistant Cap with large cap opening to allow for easy filling of ice cubes or crushed ice.
- Portable Ice Storage Bags – Designed for strength and resilience these 10 lb. ice bags offer plenty of room to hold...
- Multipurpose Cube Keeper – These versatile ice keeper bags can be used for a wide variety of indoor or outdoor...
- Heavy-Duty EVA Plastic – Pinnacle Mercantile disposable ice bags are crafted with ethyl vinyl acetate (EVA) to...
4. Cayenne Peppers
Cayenne peppers are packed with capsaicin, which can relieve pain and discomfort caused by bunions.
- 1 cayenne pepper.
- Beeswax or petroleum jelly.
- Cayenne pepper powder.
- Ginger root powder.
Here’s how to get rid of bunions naturally with hot peppers. Cut a cayenne pepper in half and use the two halves to rub the bunion. To keep the beneficial substances in place for longer, use beeswax or petroleum jelly and secure with a bandage. Avoid irritated skin, scratches, or open wounds, as this will only aggravate the swelling.
Alternatively, you can make your own cayenne pepper cream using powdered cayenne pepper. Mix it with ginger root powder and enough water to give it a creamy consistency, then apply on the bunion, rub gently into the skin and let it sit for 20 minutes to half an hour.
- Our natural, and premium filtered yellow beeswax is the highest quality cosmetic grade so you know you are making an...
- Beesworks Beeswax will never go bad! We even offer an 100% Customer Satisfaction Promise.
- Beesworks Beeswax is a top choice for melting or chopping it up to create your own lotions, lip balms, creams, waxes,...
- Helps treat and prevent diaper rash
- Helps protect minor cuts, scrapes and burns
🌶️Dark Red Color with Spicy Flavor: Our premium grade organic cayenne has a dark red color with...
🌶️High in Vitamins: Cayenne is naturally dense and provides vitamins A, B-6, C, and E. these...
🌶️100% Pure, Premium and All Natural: Cayenne Pepper grows dries and blends spices and herbs in...
- Cayenne Pepper Powder
- Convenient Jug With Handle
- 90,000 Heat Units
- USDA Certified Organic Ginger Root Powder
- Batch Tested & Verified Gluten Free
- No additives with an intense aroma, and great taste
- Ginger is a flowering plant that originated from China.
- It belongs to the Zingiberaceae family, and is closely related to turmeric, cardomon and galangal.
- The rhizome (underground part of the stem) is the part commonly used as a spice. It is often called ginger root, or...
Using capsaicin, the same active ingredient as cayenne peppers, turmeric can reduce pain and swelling in bunions.
- Turmeric powder.
- Cotton bandages.
Mix one teaspoon of powdered turmeric with enough water to give the paste a creamy consistency and apply it on the bunion. Use a cotton bandage to cover the paste and let it dry. The turmeric paste will soften the tissue, help to reduce the size of the bunion, and hamper its growth.
If used locally, aspirin works wonders with reducing the stinging pain that is associated with bunions.
- 3 aspirin tablets.
- Olive oil.
Crush the aspirin tablets, dissolve the powder into a small tub of lukewarm water, and soak your feet in until the water chills. Then, wipe the water off with a towel and massage the bunion for about 5 minutes with warm olive oil.
7. Bay Leaves
Bay leaves are also deemed one of the best home remedies for bunions and bunion growth as they dissolve salt deposits in the body. Its active ingredients can work from the inside or outside of the body to help with bunion pain and inflammation. There are several tips and tricks on how to get rid of bunions using bay leaves, but we’re going to focus on bay tea and bay baths for the foot.
Necessary Items for Bay Tea
- 1 tablespoon of (crushed) bay leaves.
- Mason jar or thermos cup.
To make your own home remedy to get rid of bunions, crush the bay leaves and add one cup of water over the crushed bay leaves. Let the leaves cook for approximately five minutes. Move the mixture in a tight lid mason jar or a thermos cup, let it sit overnight, strain it, and sip the mixture over the next day. Repeat this for 3 days, then take a week-long break, and follow the 3-day treatment again. You will notice results after just 2 treatment rounds, and the bunion should go away completely after about 2 months.
- Fresh and potent - Perfect for tea's, tincturing and many other uses!
- Carefully weighed, packed and sent directly to your door, our herbs are the freshest around.
- Comes in a USDA food grade bag, heat sealed for your protection.
- You'll LOVE our Bay Leaves by Rani Brand--Here's Why:
- ❤️️100% Natural, Non-GMO, No Preservatives, Vegan, Gluten Free Ingreditents, PREMIUM Gourmet Food Grade Spice.
- ❤️️Rani is a USA based company selling spices for over 30 years, buy with confidence!
8. Epsom Salt
One of the main compounds in Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate, which is known for reducing inflammations and relieving pain, thus being an effective bunion treatment. Also, Epsom salt has been proven to aid the decalcifying process of the big toe joint, making it one of the fastest and best home remedies for bunions out there.
- Half a cup of Epsom salt.
Pour the Epsom salt into a recipient half full of hot water and soak your feet in for half an hour. Use this home remedy for bunions once or twice per day regularly and you will notice a significant reduction in the size of the bunion.
- HIGHEST QUALITY PURE UNSCENTED EPSOM SALT (Made in USA): Epsoak Epsom Salt (Magnesium Sulfate) is USP grade. It is GMO...
- DISSOLVES QUICKLY/GREAT VALUE: After soaking in Epsoak Epsom Salt it becomes clear why Epsoak is the leading name in...
- RELAX MUSCLES & IMPROVE SKIN: Known for its amazing therapeutic qualities, an epsom salt bath can help to relieve muscle...
- Contains: 1 x 5 lb. bag of Epsom Salt by Sky Organics, Medium grain Magnesium Sulfate.
- Soothe Muscles and Skin: Use Sky Organics Epsom Salt as a comforting bath soak to comfort muscles after workouts, remove...
- Easy to Use: Sky Organics Epsom Salt dissolves quickly in warm water so relaxation never has to wait!
Necessary Items for Bay Baths
- 1 tablespoon of (crushed) bay leaves.
- 96% alcohol solution.
- Baking soda.
To use this remedy, pour some baking soda in warm water and soak your feet in for about 20 minutes. Then, rub the bay paste on the bunion and put a bandage or some thick socks on to aid with absorption. Results will be seen after about a month of regular use.
Another way to use bay leaves against bunions is to use high volume alcohol for an external treatment. Cover the crushed bay leaves in 96% alcohol solution (use no more than one-third of a cup), put a tight lid on the glass jar, and let the mixture sit for one week.
- Made from anhydrous pure powdered sodium bicarbonate with no additives or preservatives.
- Use as a cleansing booster with your laundry or dish detergent, as a pH buffer in swimming pools, or for cleaning...
- A natural antigen against bacterial and fungal growth, as well as an effective pest deterrent, sodium bicarbonate can be...
- FOOD AND USP GRADE, HIGHEST QUALITY PRODUCT, ECO-FRIENDLY PACKAGING.
- COOKING, BAKING, AND CLEANING.
- INDIGESTION OR HEARTBURN.
9. Lavender Oil
Even though using lavender oil to remove bunions is not as effective as bay leaves, this aromatic plant is a great home remedy for bunion pain. But using lavender oil regularly for massage can contribute to reducing the size of a bunion in time thanks to its moisturizing properties.
- 1 teaspoon of lavender oil.
Here’s how to get rid of bunions with lavender: Heat some lavender oil as you think you will need for a 15-minute massage session, then rub it on and continue to massage it until all the oil gets absorbed.
- THE BEST SMELLING & EFFECTIVE LAVENDER OIL - 100% natural and cruelty-free. Treat yourself to a large 4 oz bottle of...
- PREMIUM QUALITY GLASS DROPPER - Comes packaged with a dropper for ease of use.
- MULTIPURPOSE DIY - Best for aromatherapy, massage, skincare, diffusers, homemade blends, bath bombs, laundry, repellent...
- ARE YOU AN ESSENTIAL OIL SNOB? Do you insist on only using the absolute best? Are you trying to find a more affordable...
- AVOID EXPENSIVE AND INEFFECTIVE COMMERCIAL PRODUCTS. There’s nothing more frustrating than buying multiple expensive...
- WE COULDN’T SAY IT BETTER OURSELVES. “Just don't waste your time with other brands. Like wine, lavender comes in a...
Rue is a powerful anti-inflammatory and pain reliever which has been used to treat rheumatic diseases, arthritis, and osteoarthritis. Therefore, it works great for bunions, too.
Here’s how to get rid of bunions with rue:
Fill a recipient with warm water, and add the herb, soak your feet in for 10 to 15 minutes, and enjoy the relaxing bath which will soothe the pain and inflammation in no time. This is one of the best home remedies for bunions because it acts quick – results can be seen in 1-2 weeks – and is easy to use.
- Open pollinated
- Well developed roots system (No bare roots)
- Plant comes in a 3 inches pot
11. Heat Pads
Both ice packs and heat pads work wonders in treating the pain caused by bunions. Hot compresses or heat pads are ideal for relieving the discomfort caused by the deformity of the big toe joint.
- Heat pad and/or hot compresses.
Apply the heat pad or hot compress directly on the bunion and leave it on for approximately 20 minutes. You can use this whenever you feel discomfort due to friction or swollen feet. It takes the pain away in no time, leaving your feet relaxed and soothed.
- FULL BODY RELIEF: Extra-large 12” x 24” heating pad is perfect for treating sore muscles in your back, shoulders,...
- SUPER-SOFT MICROPLUSH: Thick microplush fibers offer maximum comfort for daily use.
- InstaHeat TECHNOLOGY: Enjoy a rapidly heating pad with an ergonomic LCD controller featuring 6 heat settings from warm...
- Electric heating pad features ultra-heat technology for consistent heat and greater comfort
- Heat pad has easy to use controller with extra-large slide buttons specifically designed for arthritis sufferers
- 3 heat settings so you can customize the intensity of heat
Just like turmeric, ginger contains capsaicin which can help with discomfort and swelling of bunions, as well as softening the skin. Here’s what you need and how to get rid of bunions using ginger:
- Fresh ginger root, or
- Ginger oil.
Firstly, incorporate fresh ginger root in your daily diet; you can drink ginger tea or use it as an ingredient when cooking. Secondly, massage the bunion with ginger oil for at least 15 minutes each day. You should see improvements in just a few days.
- 2 lbs. Fresh Ginger Root
- Fresh ginger is a staple in my kitchen. It is an extremely versatile ingredient.
- Ginger can be sliced into planks or matchsticks, chopped, grated, puréed, and minced,
- Earthy Spice - Our ginger essential oil therapeutic grade perspires earthy and spicy aroma of fresh ginger roots. With...
- Massage or Topical - Massage with organic ginger oil to improve your body's natural circulation. Use ginger massage oil...
- Improve Circulation and Relieve Pain - With ginger oil lymphatic drainage massage, it helps to drain away the waste....
- ✔ EXCEPTIONAL QUALITY - Only One Ingredient - 100% Pure & Undiluted Ginger oil obtained through steam distillation of...
- ✔ AUTHENTIC EXPERIENCE - SenseLAB's Ginger essential oil is made in India, from locally grown ginger roots native to...
- ✔ AMAZING AROMA - Stimulating and Invigorating -Widely known for adding spice and flavor to many popular dishes, the...
Feet exercises can aid in hampering bunion growth. Managing to reduce the progression of the bunion means avoiding surgery, the ultimate solution for removing bunions. Here’s how to prevent bunions and treat them naturally, at home.
Stretching your big toe. As the big toe is the one that is affected by bunions, pay attention to this problematic area. Stretch it and pull it together with the other toes in proper alignment. Bunions are formed when the big toe is pushed into an unnatural position, so trying to ‘educate’ your toes to maintain a proper position is the best you can do to help yourself get rid of them.
Flex all your toes. Use the floor or a wall to press your toes against. Bend them backward, hold for 10 second, release, and repeat.
The anti-inflammatory properties of chamomile can effectively reduce pain and inflammation, making it a convenient home remedy for bunions.
- Dried chamomile flowers or chamomile tea bags.
- Chamomile essential oil.
Here’s how to get rid of bunions with chamomile. Brew some chamomile tea and drink it warm, then place the tea bag or loose chamomile flowers on the bunion and secure the treatment with medical tape. You can do this 3 or 4 times a day. You can also massage the bunion with some chamomile essential oil to relieve pain and help realign the toe.
- 1 Pound Bulk Bag
- Whole flowers; Non-irradiated; Botanical name: Matricaria recutita
- Certified Organic, Kosher Certified
- Chamomile is appreciated by many for its comforting, soothing taste and delicate aroma. Since it is naturally caffeine...
- For the perfect cup we recommend that you use one tea bag. Add freshly boiled water and infuse for 3-4 minutes. Our Pure...
- Ideal for bedtime to help with sleep
- BEST SCENT: Other chamomile essential oils may be blended with inferior oils which often mask the scent of the...
- 100% PURE: Unlike other brands, Avíanō Botanicals does not blend or combine their oils with any other lower quality...
- TOP-QUALITY: Roman chamomile is said to be superior especially when it comes to its powerful calming effects and its...
- Sweet Herbaceous - Our roman chamomile oil radiates sweet herbaceous aroma as if you're smelling chamomile flowers. With...
- For Diffuser or Topical - Diffuse roman chamomile essential oil organic to relax your agitated mind and body for...
- Stress Free Sleep - Our undiluted Chamomille oil helps to ease away stress for sleep and for bath with calming aroma,...
15. Castor Oil
Castor oil, a common ingredient in beauty and personal care products, is a miracle worker when it comes to reducing bunions, relieving the pain, and realigning the toes.
- Castor oil.
Take half of a cup of the miracle ingredient, add it to a warm double pan, and heat it until it becomes thinner. Warm castor oil improves blood flow and circulation and stimulates the reduction of excess calcium deposited on the big toe joint. Then, use a cotton cloth to create a castor oil compress and wrap it around the bunion and foot as a bandage. You can also place a towel on top of the castor oil compress to prevent the oil from cooling.
- Contains: 1 x 16 oz. bottle of USDA Organic, cold-pressed, 100% pure Castor Oil by Sky Organics.
- 100% Pure and Cold-pressed: Sky Organics 100% pure, unrefined Castor Oil contains no added ingredients, fragrance,...
- Moisturizing Oil for All Hair Types: Organic Castor Oil is a natural source of fatty acids that nourish and moisturize...
- 100% PURE AND ORGANIC: Manufactured with high quality cold pressed castor oil, this eyelash serum is entirely safe for...
- NOT JUST FOR YOUR LASHES: Discover the multipurpose role of castor oil by using it not just on your lashes but also on...
- ALL NATURAL AND ORGANIC: Containing zero chemicals, preservatives or additives, our organic old - pressed castor oil is...
There are plenty of tips and tricks on how to get rid of bunions naturally, at home, but it may take a while to find the one that works for you. Approach the process with patience and don’t forget to consult your physician for more advice on how to get rid of a bunion. Did we miss any home remedy? Let us know in the comments.
Last update on 2021-01-31 at 04:29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API