Commonly referred to as crabs, pubic lice are small insects that usually get into your pubic hair and infest. Pubic lice feed on your blood which makes the affected area itch really badly. These insects are often spread through sexual contact, although they are not technically thought of as a sexually transmitted infection.
Removing the Itchy Pubic Lice, the Natural Way
In this article, we are going to provide you with home remedies for pubic lice. Each of these remedies will come with a list of materials you are going to need. Furthermore, they are going to come with instructions on how to use them. Home remedies for pubic lice are often less expensive than more conventional treatments.
Lice are highly specialized, and usually pubic lice cannot hold on to the hair on the head. However, you can usually pick them up in the same places. If you also notice head lice, try these home remedies for head lice to get rid of them.
1. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil is a good place to start when you want to get rid of pubic lice. This essential oil is good for killing these lice, thanks to what it has inside of it. These compounds include oxides, ketones, phenols, and phenolic ethers. All of these substances together present a toxic effect on these lice. You can find peppermint oil at most department stores. You can also find it at health stores for an inexpensive price.
- Peppermint oil
- Cotton swab
- Dilute a bit of peppermint oil in water.
- Dip a cotton ball in it and then dab it onto your genitals.
- You can also put a few drops into your bathwater and soak in the tub.
2. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is another potent essential oil for treating this issue. It comes with natural antiseptic and antifungal properties. Because of this, it can help to kill and sanitize the area that is affected by pubic lice. There was a study done stating that tea tree oil can get rid of the lice and prevent further infections from occurring, as well. It is definitely one of the best home remedies for pubic lice for that reason. Not only this, but any bites on the skin can easily be soothed.
- Tea tree oil
- Dilute a bit of oil into the water.
- Dab it onto the skin and then massage it in.
3. Petroleum Jelly
Petroleum jelly is great at getting rid of these lice. it is a natural substance so it won’t bother your skin with chemicals. It can be used on lice as it is able to smother the nymphs and the lice. Pubic lice breathe through tiny tubes that are referred to as tracheae. When this is covered by petroleum jelly, they will suffocate in die. You can buy this ingredient at most department stores and at the pharmacy.
- Wash your hands.
- Dip your fingers into the jar.
- Cover the affected area with the petroleum jelly.
- Let it sit for half an hour and then rinse it out.
- Repeat this until they go away.
4. Margosa Leaves
Margosa leaves are full of antiseptic and antibacterial properties alike. This is great for sanitizing the area and getting rid of the pubic lice. It is often used in head lice shampoos as well because it is so effective. Neem leaves are easy to find and can be used to take away the pubic lice with ease. You can find margosa leaves at most any health store.
- Neem/margosa leaves
- Bring some water to a boil.
- Drop in some neem leaves.
- Let them simmer for a while.
- Let the water cool.
- After the water has cooled, you can use the liquid to coat the affected area. Let it sit for 30 minutes and then rinse it off.
Vinegar is acidic which is great for killing the small insects. You can find vinegar in many different forms. In fact, it is likely that you already have some vinegar in your home. If that is the case, then this becomes a free home remedy for pubic lice. If you need to purchase some, you can get some of the most inexpensive vinegar, apple cider vinegar. Either way, this is one of the easiest remedies you can complete.
- Cotton ball
- Mix together vinegar and water with equal parts.
- Dip the cotton ball into the mixture.
- Place it against the affected area for the better part of an hour.
- Rinse and repeat each day.
6. Combing the Pubic Hair
Since the infestation is that of actual insects, you can physically remove them from your body. There are special combs that can be purchased for dealing with lice, both of the head and pubic variety. These combs have ultra-fine teeth, which make it easy to pick up and clear out the pubic lice.
Such combs are available at health stores and at pharmacies. They often come with special shampoos; even so, you can use one of the remedies mentioned above as the shampoo.
- Comb through the pubic hair that is infected with pubic lice.
- Be sure to do it slowly and to rinse off the comb every so often.
Using an astringent helps to smother the lice in an acid. This acid can kill them and the eggs as well. And, it is one of the simplest home remedies for pubic lice to complete and takes no time at all to prepare it. Also, it can start working almost right away. Thus, the treatment does not require too many treatments to get rid of the infestation. Instead of spending money on an expensive astringent, you can make one right at home that is totally natural.
- Mix in one-fourth of a glass of water with equal parts vinegar.
- Add in a bit of sugar and honey.
- Mix it together to make a rough paste.
- Apply it to the affected area.
There are medicated shampoos that can help you get rid of the infestation. These should be used if none of the other remedies work; sometimes the infestation is too severe and must be dealt with medically. You can make a homemade shampoo as well if you would rather use that. The ingredients for doing so are cheap; this will cost less than it would buy a medicated shampoo, so give it a try first.
- Use the shampoo as per the instructions on the bottle.
With pubic lice comes a lot of itching. You can stop the itching and burning using calamine. Not only can it relieve the symptoms of the infestation, it can get rid of it as well. This is because the calamine lotion is thick and can suffocate the lice and nymphs as well. This lotion, as it is often used for poison oak and ivy, might already be in your home. If it is not, it is inexpensive to purchase at most pharmacies.
- Apply the calamine lotion onto the affected area.
- Let it dry in order to smother the pubic lice.
- Scrub it off with a brush once it is dry.
10. Neem Leaves
Neem leaves are good for helping with any infections that the bites might cause. This is because it has antiseptic properties. Not only this, it can slowly kill off the lice. This helps to take care of the problem as well as some of its symptoms.
Neem leaves can be found in most grocery stores reasonably. If you are having trouble locating them there, check out your local health store. It is best to make an infusion and take a bath in it. This natural treatment also helps a lot for those who have head lice.
- Neem leaves
- Run a warm, soothing bath.
- Put neem leaves into the bath.
- Soak in the tub for at least 30 minutes.
- Use a scrub at the end.
11. Lemon Juice
Because lemon juice is so acidic, it can attack the lice and kill them. It can also get into the eggs they leave behind and kill them as well. This makes it one of the best ways to get rid of lice. Alongside that, it can help lighten any scars that their bites might have caused. Lemon juice can be extracted from a fresh lemon for best results. You could also use bottled lemon juice; either one will work fine.
- Lemon juice
- Garlic Cloves
- Mix together some lemon juice and a few cloves of crushed garlic.
- Put this mixture onto the pubic hair. Let it cover the skin.
- Once it dries, wash it off.
Garlic is full of a number of beneficial compounds that can take care of pubic lice. This includes antibacterial, antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties. It also comes with a famously strong fragrance that will help in suffocating the lice. It is recommended that you use fresh cloves of garlic for this and do not use garlic from a jar. Fresh garlic cloves can be found in the produce section of your local grocery store.
- Garlic Cloves
- Lemon juice
- Olive oil
- Crush up some fresh garlic and extract its juice.
- Mix this juice with lemon juice and olive oil.
- Apply the mixture to the affected area.
- Let it sit for 30 minutes before you rinse it off.
Mayonnaise works a lot like calamine lotion. It is able to suffocate the insects and their eggs. Not only that, but it can also soothe the skin that has been attacked by the insects. Mayonnaise is a common staple in a lot of households, making it a free home remedy for pubic lice. If you need to purchase it, it is inexpensive to do so.
- Lice Comb
- Put mayonnaise onto the affected areas.
- Let it sit for five to six hours.
- Rinse it off with shampoo.
- Comb out the pubic hair using a special lice comb.
- Repeat this once each week for the best results possible.
14. Black Tea
Black tea is full of tannins. The tannins act as an astringent. Using this, you can help dry up the area where the lice are infecting. This can help to get rid of the lice while also healing the skin. Black tea bags of any brand will work just fine. If there is none in your home, black tea is very cheap and can be purchased at any grocery store.
- Black tea bags
- Boil some water on the stove.
- Put two black tea bags into a mug.
- Let it steep for 20 minutes.
- Pull the black tea bags and squeeze them.
- Once they have cooled, press the tea bags against the affected area for a while.
15. Essential Oils
There are a variety of essential oils that can be used for pubic lice. These oils can soothe the skin while also suffocating the lice.
- Essential oil of your choice.
Apply one of the following to the affected area:
The Itchy Pubic Lice
Pubic lice are annoying and itchy, but they can be gotten rid of easily. These home remedies for pubic lice should help. Have you ever used home remedies for pubic lice? Do you have any recommendations? Let us know in the comments.